Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

White spots on tank

Hey! This is my first time posting here, so I hope I'm doing everything correctly!

About 2 weeks ago, I added platies to a new tank. Everything was going great so I decided to add one more yesterday and I didn't quarantine. All was well yesterday, and now today there are these white streaks (shaped kind of like shooting stars) that are appearing all over the walls inside the tank. I attached pictures of some obvious ones, but they are appearing all over. They wipe off just fine. The tank is still cycling, but I don't think that would cause this.

One of the original fish did have a white stringy poop - not sure if that would have anything to do with this. Could that be related? The fish seem healthy otherwise - they ate well yesterday and are all playful today.

Anyone experience something similar or know what this could be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	315033   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	315034  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1f.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	315035  

Old 01-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello kate...

How clean are you keeping your tank? The chances of a healthy fish in pure water conditions being infected by a pathogen or virus or anything else like this is very remote. So, even if you didn't quarantine this new fish, a healthy fish isn't at risk.

If your tank gets lots of large, regular water changes, then you have nothing to worry about. If, you're inconsistent with your tank care, then your fish may pick up something from a fish from the local pet store.

I'll give you a tip on tank keeping. Change half the tank water a couple of times a week if your tank is less than 30 gallons. If it's 30 gallons or larger, change half the tank water weekly. No excuses. Do this and you'll have no tank problems.

This white material is likely a form of fungus. Fungus isn't a problem for a healthy, well kept tank. Ramshorn snails and most livebearing fish will remove it.

B

Tags
spot, tan, tank, white, white spot, white spots

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com