White Stringy Poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nu-Nu the eel said:
I had the exact same problem with my angels about 2 months ago. One of them didnt make it, but the oter made a full recovery. Jlk helped me a ton! You are in great hands. I did dose with the jungle meds about 4 times and it worked. They were bathed in epson salt to get them to poo of they were constipated, but that didnt work as well

Cool thanks. I really not sure what is wrong with him. Im now wondering if its a bit of a fungus issue as well. I just keep doing the water changes and the meds. In fact doing a water change right now. Lol. I read someone with a similar issue say they did back to back water change and upped the heat. I think my heat ia fine but I wanna make sure the water is clean.

I would be surprised if there was a fungus issue. Fungus is opportunistic & usually is only seen when there are poor water conditions & something else amiss such as a bacterial infection. Your keeping his water healthy so water quality isnt an issue. Does he have any white or fuzzy patches?

I will add a little note on the bloodworms- I have fish that is only eating them right now (after not eating for month-different problem though). I defrost a batch of them & add some fish vitamins, a capsule of acidophilus (open & dump in) & a capsule of fish oil (pop it) to them & let them soak overnight in the fridge before feeding. They probably dont soak up a whole lot but I figure he is getting a bit extra nutrition since he wont eat anything else either.

jlk said:
I would be surprised if there was a fungus issue. Fungus is opportunistic & usually is only seen when there are poor water conditions & something else amiss such as a bacterial infection. Your keeping his water healthy so water quality isnt an issue. Does he have any white or fuzzy patches?

I will add a little note on the bloodworms- I have fish that is only eating them right now (after not eating for month-different problem though). I defrost a batch of them & add some fish vitamins, a capsule of acidophilus (open & dump in) & a capsule of fish oil (pop it) to them & let them soak overnight in the fridge before feeding. They probably dont soak up a whole lot but I figure he is getting a bit extra nutrition since he wont eat anything else either.

There are tiny white spots. Not very many and today it appears he is getting pop eye.

This is soo disappointing cause I have had an illness or lost a fish in a long time.

I heard the other day that the place I buy my fish from sell terrible fish and I didn't believe it, however, the other day I went to check out the kribs in case I lose mine and they all looked pretty shady. Hhhhmmmm guess I gotta find a new place.

I have fungus medication if you think its that now

The poor guy! Is it still only one eye or is the other eye starting to be affected as well? This is important- when popeye affects both eyes, its likely an internal infection. One eye is usually the result of an injury but with all the issues going on, I am honestly not positive this is the case. You mentioned little white spots- are they fuzzy spots, are they the same spots you mentioned earlier that look like crustaceans/bugs or could they possibly be ich? I am just trying to figure out which direction to point you in because there seems to be multiple issues going!

jlk said:
The poor guy! Is it still only one eye or is the other eye starting to be affected as well? This is important- when popeye affects both eyes, its likely an internal infection. One eye is usually the result of an injury but with all the issues going on, I am honestly not positive this is the case. You mentioned little white spots- are they fuzzy spots, are they the same spots you mentioned earlier that look like crustaceans/bugs or could they possibly be ich? I am just trying to figure out which direction to point you in because there seems to be multiple issues going!

Yeah there are multiple issues. Here is where we are

1. Yea they are the same crustaceans I mentioned before. Doesn't look lick ick and no itching.

2. Rapid breathing and it appears as though his mouth is swollen and cannot shut.

3. Only one eye appears to be poping however it is not cloudy so it again appears as though his eye socket is swelling.

4. Seems like he just floats and may have a buoyancy issue cause he kind of moves side to side. With this other fish swim all over him and he doesn't move. Mostly my clown loaches as they seem to know when another fish is sick.

5. All I have ever seen right now out of him is white stringy poop.

I understand its hard to diagnose and treat when your not here but I appreciate all you help already. I am really worried about my other fish contracting something but I don't have a QT tank for him. Also I used a little aquarium salt but under the recommended dosage for stress relief. I also haven't treated with anything else since 50% pwc yesterday. It is not clear weather either meds or salt have helped.

Got some awesome pics of the issues today

-Popeye
-White spots along top fin towards the back.
-Swollen open mouth

Also I don't know if you can see but he appears to have a spot right between his eyes that looks similar to hole in the head.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120408_185101.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120408_185101.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 60
  • ForumRunner_20120408_185115.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120408_185115.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 57
I do see a pit developing on his head but I honestly have no experience with HITH. From what I have read, there are a variety of factors such as water quality, diet, carbon, heximata, etc that may play a role in its cause. If I had to take a guess here, its probably a combination of him not eating & internal parasite issue both of which are affecting his overall health.

So, far the parasite clear does not seem to be very effective & without a qt, its a bit difficult because your other fish will have to be dosed with meds in order to try & treat. You could try treating directly with metronizadole & Prazipro instead of the parasite clear tabs. Metro is accepted for treating heximata infections although its not a guarentee. I am not sure what you have available at your lfs. Because theres numerous things going on here, we have to figure out which to address first- the internal bugs seem to be the likely root of some other issues but I am beginning to wonder if theres more to the picture than just what your seeing. Are you still treating with the parasite clear tabs? Hopefully, someone else with HITH experience will have some input on how to address this with everything else going on!

jlk said:
I do see a pit developing on his head but I honestly have no experience with HITH. From what I have read, there are a variety of factors such as water quality, diet, carbon, heximata, etc that may play a role in its cause. If I had to take a guess here, its probably a combination of him not eating & internal parasite issue both of which are affecting his overall health.

So, far the parasite clear does not seem to be very effective & without a qt, its a bit difficult because your other fish will have to be dosed with meds in order to try & treat. You could try treating directly with metronizadole & Prazipro instead of the parasite clear tabs. Metro is accepted for treating heximata infections although its not a guarentee. I am not sure what you have available at your lfs. Because theres numerous things going on here, we have to figure out which to address first- the internal bugs seem to be the likely root of some other issues but I am beginning to wonder if theres more to the picture than just what your seeing. Are you still treating with the parasite clear tabs? Hopefully, someone else with HITH experience will have some input on how to address this with everything else going on!

Guess what the Popeye looks like it subsided. I think I am going to continue the eater changes with the salt and the parasite meds. What do you think. Lips still look huge. Have any experience with that duck lip disease. I agree with you about the hith. Most of the time it is not fatal from what I read.

Lifeoffroad said:
Guess what the Popeye looks like it subsided. I think I am going to continue the eater changes with the salt and the parasite meds. What do you think. Lips still look huge. Have any experience with that duck lip disease. I agree with you about the hith. Most of the time it is not fatal from what I read.

He has developed more of the white spots should I treat with fungus meds instead? I have the same jungle product but for fungus. Or should I treat for ich?

Lifeoffroad said:
He has developed more of the white spots should I treat with fungus meds instead? I have the same jungle product but for fungus. Or should I treat for ich?

Actually the eye isn't that much better and it looks like its got some sort of ted spot on it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120409_100402.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120409_100402.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20120409_100427.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120409_100427.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20120409_100439.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120409_100439.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 50

Are they the bug spots or do they look like ich? Fungus meds will not help with either and shouldnt be combined with the parasite meds. You will need to ID what exacly it is in order to figure out a course of treatment. If everyone in the tank is ok with salt, I would work on increasing the salinity to .3%. This is approximately 2.5 level teaspoons per gallon. Premix in container of tank water & add gradually over 48hrs. Add back only the salt you remove with a water change (ie-50%wc, add back 1/2 original dose). If it is ich, this will treat it as well. I really hope he recovers!!! My fingers are crossed for him!

jlk said:
Are they the bug spots or do they look like ich? Fungus meds will not help with either and shouldnt be combined with the parasite meds. You will need to ID what exacly it is in order to figure out a course of treatment. If everyone in the tank is ok with salt, I would work on increasing the salinity to .3%. This is approximately 2.5 level teaspoons per gallon. Premix in container of tank water & add gradually over 48hrs. Add back only the salt you remove with a water change (ie-50%wc, add back 1/2 original dose). If it is ich, this will treat it as well. I really hope he recovers!!! My fingers are crossed for him![/QUOTE

Thanks ill do that. I hope he does to.

jlk said:
Are they the bug spots or do they look like ich? Fungus meds will not help with either and shouldnt be combined with the parasite meds. You will need to ID what exacly it is in order to figure out a course of treatment. If everyone in the tank is ok with salt, I would work on increasing the salinity to .3%. This is approximately 2.5 level teaspoons per gallon. Premix in container of tank water & add gradually over 48hrs. Add back only the salt you remove with a water change (ie-50%wc, add back 1/2 original dose). If it is ich, this will treat it as well. I really hope he recovers!!! My fingers are crossed for him!

Thanks I hope he recovers to. He's a cool fish.

I think its time to put him down. He's just laying on the floor leaning against a bush. I feel bad for him anyway I don't want him to suffer. How do you put your fish down? I was told ice water was humane. Is that right?

Lifeoffroad said:
I think its time to put him down. He's just laying on the floor leaning against a bush. I feel bad for him anyway I don't want him to suffer. How do you put your fish down? I was told ice water was humane. Is that right?

Aww was hoping to see a full recovery but think you are doing the right thing. I have no idea what the most humane way is to stop their suffering so would be interested to know how people advise you. Sorry about your fish, it isn't nice :(

Meesha said:
Aww was hoping to see a full recovery but think you are doing the right thing. I have no idea what the most humane way is to stop their suffering so would be interested to know how people advise you. Sorry about your fish, it isn't nice :(

Hey im at the fish store and still trying to recover him. What would you get?

Lifeoffroad said:
Hey im at the fish store and still trying to recover him. What would you get?

I have prima and melafix shouldbi try one of those

Back
Top Bottom