White Stringy Poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I keep finding white long stringy poop in my tank so I know someone has something. A while ago I successfully treated camallanus worms with levamisole. So I tried to use the same stuff with no luck. Anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of internal parasites? I have anti-parasite from Jungle and anti-parasite by Prazipro. Anyone have any ideas?

jlk said:
Is it Jungle anti-parasite food or Jungle anti-parasite for the water?

For the water. I have x-paracyde that is a food but the typical problem with that is the infected fish typically doesn't eat.

If they are not eating, then prazi & metro for the water. Its not quite as effective at treating internal bugs as med food but it should knock everything out. Just make sure you are treating for a full course of treatment (minimum 7days).

jlk said:
If they are not eating, then prazi & metro for the water. Its not quite as effective at treating internal bugs as med food but it should knock everything out. Just make sure you are treating for a full course of treatment (minimum 7days).

What's metro?

Metronizadole. The Jungle anti-parasite meds for the water have prazi & metro plus another wormer (forget which). Metro is a type of antibiotic thats also effective against certain internal parasites/Protozoa that prazi is not effective against. The combo is very together.

jlk said:
Metronizadole. The Jungle anti-parasite meds for the water have prazi & metro plus another wormer (forget which). Metro is a type of antibiotic thats also effective against certain internal parasites/Protozoa that prazi is not effective against. The combo is very together.

So use both the prazipro and jungle fix tabs together? Im pretty nervous causenits only one fish that's sick. I don't have a qt tank and I don't want to chemicalize the other fish. But the prazipro must be light it says it can be uses as. Preventative.

The jungle anti-parasite for your water should be sufficient- it has both metro & prazi. No need to add additional meds. I believe they are fizz tabs or something similar. Just double check the ingredients to make sure you have the right Jungle product. Follow instructions for dosing & water changes but make sure you treat for at least a full 7 days (possibly longer). Good luck!

jlk said:
The jungle anti-parasite for your water should be sufficient- it has both metro & prazi. No need to add additional meds. I believe they are fizz tabs or something similar. Just double check the ingredients to make sure you have the right Jungle product. Follow instructions for dosing & water changes but make sure you treat for at least a full 7 days (possibly longer). Good luck!

I also have levamisole that I used to treat camallanus worms way back. Should I use that instead of botha the other medications?

Have you gotten new fish since treating with the levamisole? I would still opt for the metro/prazi combo first because it addresses a broader range of parasites vs just the levamisole. If the metro/prazi combo is not effective following a full course of treatment, then you can follow with the leva.

jlk said:
Have you gotten new fish since treating with the levamisole? I would still opt for the metro/prazi combo first because it addresses a broader range of parasites vs just the levamisole. If the metro/prazi combo is not effective following a full course of treatment, then you can follow with the leva.

I haven't added any fish for months that's why im surprised I have any issues. I did notice late that my nitrates got above a healthy level due to my tap water already being high. So it hurts me even more to me me thank I was the culprit. But I've beaten camallanus worms so im hoping this works.

jlk said:
Good luck!! Let us know how this works out for you! :)

Okay upon closer look at the potential infected fish I have noticed about 3 white spots along the upper fin on the back. It doesn't look like ick it looks more like a crustation of some sort. Let me try and get a picture.

There are two along the top and he has something growing in the lower right corner (our right) of his lip. His breathing is rapid, his mouth remains pretty wide open, white poop, wont eat, tiny white growths. What's the issues?

I will help him however. I don't like to lose fish.

Lifeoffroad said:
Okay upon closer look at the potential infected fish I have noticed about 3 white spots along the upper fin on the back. It doesn't look like ick it looks more like a crustation of some sort. Let me try and get a picture.

There are two along the top and he has something growing in the lower right corner (our right) of his lip. His breathing is rapid, his mouth remains pretty wide open, white poop, wont eat, tiny white growths. What's the issues?

I will help him however. I don't like to lose fish.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120404_121109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120404_121109.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20120404_121130.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120404_121130.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 90
I honestly can not tell from the pics. Do they look more worm-like or bug-like? I would google pics of things such a fish louse, gill maggots, copepods & anchor worms that are considered to be parasitic crustaceans and see if you can make a positive id from pics. Some types are known to infest the gills & would cause breathing problems. With an id, we can figure out the best course of treatment.

jlk said:
I honestly can not tell from the pics. Do they look more worm-like or bug-like? I would google pics of things such a fish louse, gill maggots, copepods & anchor worms that are considered to be parasitic crustaceans and see if you can make a positive id from pics. Some types are known to infest the gills & would cause breathing problems. With an id, we can figure out the best course of treatment.

Get this, he still is not looking great but today I restocked on bloodworm and he ate!! Like a whole cube! Is it possible he just won't eat anything but bloodworms?

An appetite is a very positive sign! I would focus on getting him eating for right now & work on gradually reintroducing foods he ate before he became ill. Hopefully, will he will return to normal eating habits when he feels 100%. Can't make any guarantees though!

jlk said:
An appetite is a very positive sign! I would focus on getting him eating for right now & work on gradually reintroducing foods he ate before he became ill. Hopefully, will he will return to normal eating habits when he feels 100%. Can't make any guarantees though!

Well the weird thing is he wont eat anything else. I fed them a pinch of flakes just this morning. But hopefully its progress and the good part is maybe I can get him eating some medicated food.

Thanks for following. It helps to stay positive. My wife hates when a fish dies but she totally doesn't care about the nurturing back to life. She always just says " fix him" haha

I had the exact same problem with my angels about 2 months ago. One of them didnt make it, but the oter made a full recovery. Jlk helped me a ton! You are in great hands. I did dose with the jungle meds about 4 times and it worked. They were bathed in epson salt to get them to poo of they were constipated, but that didnt work as well

Back
Top Bottom