White stuff growing on fin tip: Betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tree-Hugger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello friends,
My betta fish is seems to have this white cottony stuff growing near the tips of its fins and seems to have spread since yesterday. I don't know if this is related, but his water has been geting cloudy very fast since water change for the past month or so but he had been very health until yesterday. I used to change water every week, but since his water used to get cloudy I change water typically every three to four days.

He was a little sluggish yesterday but seems ok today though his fin tips have more cottony stuff today than yesterday.

I have attached the best picture I could get but he keeps moving and somehow doesn't like the camera.

me and my betta will highly appreciate any advice.

thanks.

Attachments

• DSC05459.jpg
    DSC05459.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 820
Looks like fin rot IMO. What are your water parameters?

thanks Maxkolbe, I took the water for quality check to the nearest petsmart. they said everything looks fine except that the pH is on the higher limit (~8).

fin rot sounds bad. I can get information from the internet for treatment, but do you have any suggestion?
moreover for pH, I changed the water just yesterday so I don't think that a water change will be good, right?

thanks.

The best treatment for fin rot is lots of water changes. If that doesn't work you could try aquarium salt (not marine) it's usually caused by poor water quality so it's good that you did a water change. I'd get an API liquid test kit so you can measure at home and not have to rely on the store. That way you can be sure that the water is clean.

thanks max. I will start with water changes and salt water, and will also buy a test kit right away. I just have one last question and thank you for your patience: I read in one site that a 100% water change as everyday should help... I am just concerned that a frequent water change as much as every day may actually stress the fish out.. of course I will follow the rules of water changes such as equilibrating long enough and all... so, could daily water change be safe?

Hi!
Can I ask what size his tank is?
It looks awfully small. Bettas need a 2.5g tank minimum but a 5g is better. They require heaters set at 80F and a filter is recommended so the tank can be cycled. I would say the water conditions in the tank are taking a toll on his health. As mentioned above, lots of water changes are needed to keep the water clean and help him heal. Achieving this in such a small tank is next to impossible. It's best to change 50% of the water then change 50% again. That way the fish isn't as shocked and doesn't need to be removed from the tank.
Please read this:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Hi!
Can I ask what size his tank is?
It looks awfully small. Bettas need a 2.5g tank minimum but a 5g is better. They require heaters set at 80F and a filter is recommended so the tank can be cycled. I would say the water conditions in the tank are taking a toll on his health. As mentioned above, lots of water changes are needed to keep the water clean and help him heal. Achieving this in such a small tank is next to impossible. It's best to change 50% of the water then change 50% again. That way the fish isn't as shocked and doesn't need to be removed from the tank.
Please read this:
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
thanks for the response. yea it is not a big tank - it is a 1 gallon tank. i thought bettas are okay with a small tank from what I have seen and read. but I will get a bigger thank for him once he recuperates.
I will go by your recommendation of 50% water change each day. thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom