White washed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am concerned about one of my green tiger barbs. I have had it for about two weeks and in the last couple of days it's green coloring has faded greatly but the orange/red on the fin tips has stayed the same.It also is having trouble staying level, constantly swimming with its face straight down. I thought it may be having swim bladder problems but why would it lose it's color? There are five in a 10 gal, all being about 1/2 inch each. I watch it eat and all of the others are fine. Water is changed with out fail same time every week and the water seems fine.
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Total Alkalinity 120-180
pH 7.2
Temp 75
I have never really had any sick fish so I really would like to know what is wrong with it and what I did to cause it. Any help would be great.TIA

Could you test your ammonia? This would be the first place trouble might begin. Color fading is often due to stress. I'm also unsure about your reading for nitrates.. Most tanks (Except heavily planted tanks) always have a low level of nitrates, even with water changes.

I dont have a test for ammonia. And the nitrates where checked with one of those dip stick things and it was whiter than the second notch up so it does have small amouts but I cant give a number. The tank does have seven different types of plants, so fairly heavy planted. What would cause stress to one and not the others?
To fix this, I get a test on ammonia and go from there. If it is fine what else can I check?

Ammonia is the biggie in this case. You checked just about everything else you'd normally want to check. You could also check various other minerals and such, but they're not really necessary for day to day maintenance.

It could possibly be sick as well. You mentioned having it for about two weeks, which is usually the period of time in which disease will rear its ugly head if it came from the LFS. Unfortunately I'm not too knowledge on diseases.

I will be able to get a test around lunch today. I will start there thanks.

Ok, ammonia tested and that is not the problem. Also it's fins are decaying now. Every one else still looks great. I am afraid to treat it with anything because of the amount of plants in the tank should I set up my hospital tank and treat him there with like salt? This is going to be my fist time treating a sick fish. So I want to do it right.

I'd definitely isolate him from the rest. If its not ammonia poisoning, its likely a bacterial infection.

It sounds like a columnaris infection. Do read this article on it; its one of the best: http://www.aquamaniacs.net/flex.html . The only thing I'd add, is if you cannot find medicated food, use Kanacyn; its one of the best broad spectrum antibiotics.

I have him isolated now. How long does it take before any inprovement in the fins and color.

I am glad to say that he is all ready looking better. Color has gotten darker and the fins are looking better. Thanks for the help

Yay!! I love happy endings *sniff*

Give him a few more days to be sure the infection is entirely eradicated before putting him back in the tank if you can; just a little more insurance :)

Back
Top Bottom