white web-like/cotton substance growing on ornaments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kilfrg7864

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi im not sure where im supposed to post this, but i figured i'll post here to see if i get any responses.

So im in the middle of cycling my tank with some zebra danios, and the other day i noticed that one of my tank ornaments that i got at petco has some sort of white weblike substance on it. As far as i can tell this is the only place in my tank that this stuff has shown up.

here are some pictures that show this white stuff on my ornament. The first picture it is by the shoulder blades of buddah, and the 2nd its near the right side on the stack of coins(in this picture it looks like it is a small cotton ball, and there are a few)

Sorry if the picture quality stink but i couldnt really get a good picture of the stuff

Any help would be great thanks!

Imageshack - img5485e

Imageshack - img5485e

Well both of your pictures are the same and I couldn't really see the weblike substance you are talking about.

It could be some kind of algae....is it stationary? Or does it move at all?
Also, how long do you have your lights on per day?

I'm not sure what you've got, but I had the same ornament from Petco in my tank and after about a six weeks the paint started coming off. I'd remove it and return it for your money back.

mmm it is somewhat stationary it reminds me of a spiders egg sac. and some of it is kinda like a spiders web.

I also have the lights on maybe 6-8 hrs a day?

It could be bacterial film or brown algea, which looks whiteish although not completely white. Also, for a new setup it might just be diatoms and brown algea mix. If so, this is very common in a new setup and can be dealt with pretty easily with some algea shrimp or alea eating fish. Also, better lighting will help combat this. There are several threads on this site about algea maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom