Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whitespot!

I'm converting my SW tank to FW, but I'm concerned about ich and other diseases as I've lost SW fish to them in the past. Is it really neccessary to QT new FW fish? I really don't have the room or facilities for a QT tank. And, if my fish do happen to get ich or another disease, can medication be added to the tank to sort it out? This wasn't really possible in SW because the inverts were intolerable to copper in the meds etc. Is it easier to treat diseases in FW? I'm hoping so!!

Old 11-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

FW fish suffer from a large menu of diseases (bacterial, fungal, parasites, worms, etc.), so naturally, QT'ing is always recommended.

Outside of that, sometimes knowing the source of your fish can eliminate the need for QT'ing. I have almost completely sworn off buying fish from LFS and have recieved most of my stock from other aquarists/breeders.

There are some diseases that cannot be treated in your main tank as the meds will cause unaffected fish more harm than good. For example, FW can contract TB, which is highly contagious.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most SW people QT first - is this the same for FW? Or do a lot just put 'em in and hope for the best?

Do they get diseases as easily as (are they as fragile) SW?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #4

As far as ich.. you can treat that with just heat above 86 degrees. A variety of other conditoins can be treated with antibiotic, antimicrobial, antifungal, or antiparasitic meds providing you can determine the cause.
Yep.. freshwater fish get diseases and are fragile as well.. of course depending on the type of fish you get.. some are hardier than others. The problem is not knowing what it could be and you can introduce anything to your tank and Bam.. all the fish are dead.. why? Who knows.

If you can't QT.. take your time and only pick the healthiest looking fish.. that the best i can say!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Im going to argue for QT.. your tank is only 55 gallons.. so the fish your going to put in it shouldnt be all that big.. the size needed for freshwater QT is only 1/5th of SW QT (of course bigger is always better) so I am going to assume you just might have more room then you thought.. :P
Old 11-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The problem with FW is that they are hardier so they may look healthy, but be carrying something nasty. Since I started doing QT with all my new fish, deaths have dropped about 75%. Then, when fish are sick, it is much cheaper to medicate a smaller tank. My QT rotates duty as a hospital and nursery as well. If you can't qt, try to eliminate any mixing of store water with your tank. There are also several quick-dip products that claim to help. It may also be a good idea to add melafix and possibly pimafix (by the pro or pond strength-much cheaper).

Tags
whitespot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com