why are my fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maryann28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need some advice, I have lost about 6 fish and I dont know why. I havent added any new ones in over 8 months and everything was fine up until about 2 weeks ago and they started dying. Most are spending all their time at the top at what seems to be getting air. I have been doing pwc and it doesnt seem to be helping.
PH 7.8
nitrate 20
ammonia .25
nitrite .25

no new decorations, I did clean the tank about 5 days before all this started happening, but I didnt take anything out just did a half water change.

Something may have happened to the beneficial bacteria in the filter, because it looks like you are going through a mini cycle.

It looks like your tank is also fully stocked possibly a bit over. As your fish grew they produced more waste and maybe your filter has exceded its maximum bio-filtration capacity. Fully grown Angels need close to 10 gals each and fully grown gold fish need about 10 gals each too. At some stage you will have to remove some fish. Perhaps start with the goldfish. Maybe your tank has started the removal process for you. If you can, maybe you could move some to a different tank or trade them in at an lfs for credit.

gold fish are temperate water fish in other words they naturaly live in colder waters.. when a fish is put into an enviroment were the water is at a higher temperature than it needs it will produce large amounts of waste comprairtvely. It is never a good idea to put temperate water fish with tropical fish, its really bad on your bio-load. goldfish are easily kept in a tank with a air pump and a cheap light.. they dont need anything fancy.. it would be easy to take them out.. a big bowl would be fine... :D

by the way...

I forgot to mention that goldfish can breath air from the surfase of the water like a betta.. the only two fish that are kept in the hobby that can do this to my knolege.... so a air pump is not nessasary. :smilecolros:

Goldies do need decent aeration in the tank. They can breath air from the top, but prolonged exposure to this can produce swim bladder disease, especially in the fancy variety. With your other fish doing this, it could be poor aeration. This can be caused by the increase of ammonia and/or nitrite. It could also be that your filter/airpump (aerator) cannot keep up with the bio load and fish needs. What do you have along the lines of O2?

Goldfish also are not recommended to be placed in a plain bowl. They are one of the dirtiest fish around and will need good filtration. UGF's typically do not work because they are a member of the carp family and like to rumage through the gravel.

The recommended temperature ranges anywhere from 56F to 72F, though they can sustain tropical conditions,(Mine is at 80F right now, uncontrollably), but, as mentioned, you should NOT keep them with tropicals. A lot also depends on the variety of goldfish: e.g Comets, fancy, feeders.

Also, the 1" of fish per gallon should NOT apply to goldfish. They really need a good surface area and suggestions range anywhere from 10 gallons to 20 gallons for the first fish (regardless of size) and 10 gallons for every fish after that (this is a good reason why a "bowl" will not work). For your 55 gallon tank, using the smaller suggested stocking rule, you're already down to 35" of fish left for your tropicals. Add in the recommended 10 gallons per Angel, and you're up to 60 gallons with just those 6 fish. I would also suggest that you are probably a bit overstocked. For this reason alone, you need to do something with the goldfish at the very least.

sorry...

I was refering to a temperary stay so that the other fish would quit dieing...
yes fancy varieties of the goldfish do have greater needs than the more natural occorring varity.. It sounds like the goldfish are putting the tank over the top as far as biological filtration is conserned.. Im doubting it has anything to do with an O2 problem.. in the tank anyway.. I would recomend getting them out of the tank as soon as possible.. and by the way the guppies won't be there long with anglefish.. they will become midnight snacks.

keeping goldies in a bowl properly mantained is very difficult in my opinion.. lots of water changes... I would personaly put a sponge filter or box filter in the bowl with them... and yes those are air powered..

I understand what all of you are saying but all of my fish have been together for well over 8 months now and no one has eaten anyone, guppies have always done well even witht he angels, and the goldfish has never had any problems with anyone of its tank mates. I would hate to move him now, he has done so well in there. I did lose one but it was the same time I lost 3 of my clown loaches, and about 3 other fish.

I have no doubt that all your fish were healthy and living happily together for quite some time, but now that they're growing bigger and producing more waste, they are simply overloading the bacterial colony. The only solution to your fish death problem is to reduce the bioload in the tank - sorry. :(
On the bright side, this is how MTS usually starts. :wink:

Well said.. this is the most likely reason MTS starts...lol
This is a big tank for a beginner and Im sure thats why the fish have made it this long without any major problems.. the bigger the tank you have the bigger the mistakes you can make, Ive always been told this..lol
Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom