Why are my fish getting paralyzed??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennakm

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yes paralyzed. Not clamped fins, they are rigidly fanned out (guppies). Not dead, they are breathing.
I have a 29g well established tank. Amm=0, nitrite=0, nitrates= 5ppm. I tested the pH and hardness to see if there was a possible ph swing. Nope. Temp is stable. Trust me i check on these fish like a dozen times a day.
Guppies m/f, pygmy cories, mystery snails.
I added 4 new guppies, 2 pairs, about 3 days ago.
Yesterday i found one of the new females sitting like “/“ at the bottom, almost vertical.
My first thought was swim bladder but that’s definitely not it.
When i approached her with the net she clearly responded, but with no control or movement from her fins.
I put her in a salt bath and kept her in an observation tank. Its been almost 48 hours and she’s almost fully recovered. Regained mobility and reacts properly to stimuli.
I was told she had a stroke, which made sense to me given her symptoms and recovery.
But wait theres more...

I just found another one doing THE SAME THING. This is a female I’ve raised since birth, not new. She’s juvenile.
Again. Breathing, fins fanned out stiffly, cannot move but breathes faster and moves her eyes when i approach her. She just cant move.

This can’t be two isolated incidents, theres no way this is a second stroke freak coincidence.

So what contagious THING could be paralyzing my fish??

Did you treat these fish in this tank for the columnaris too?

No its my “display” tank. Nothing goes in the tank but prime. I treated all the fish for columnaris extensively before my display tank was cycled. I gradually added the fish. Its been stable the whole time

No its my “display” tank. Nothing goes in the tank but prime. I treated all the fish for columnaris extensively before my display tank was cycled. I gradually added the fish. Its been stable the whole time

And yet again, the second paralyzed fish is very slowly regaining movement

Odd. I'm not familiar with that affliction. The only thing I could dig up was about medication maybe affecting their movements

Dang. Ill keep searching. No one has ever heard of this happening that i’ve asked! Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen anymore!

Yeah, fingers crossed!

Have you ever heard of a fish having a vitamin B deficiency? I’ve been feeding them sparingly because of how much I’ve been away from home and am wondering if they are deficient. Apparently is causes paralysis and neurological issues

Back
Top Bottom