Why are my platies and guppies dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathalie8_2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello i have 2 tanks:
- 10 gallon with 4 female platies and 2 clown plecos
- 36 gallon with 4 male platies, 3 neons, 2 bristlenose plecos, 5 zebra danios, 5 pink glofish, 3 female guppies and 2 male guppies.

In the last month my fish are dying 1 by 1 and I have no clue whats going on, my readings are within limits, I do 30% water changes every week, i add water conditioner and some salt.
They start looking very sick, dont eat, their colors look very discolored and they hide a lot. I have treated them in a separate tank for fungus, parasites and even ick. I have also treated the whole tank, but nothing seems to work, they just get sick one by one, and after a couple weeks of weakness they just die. Right now i have a weak male platy hiding behind the filter and a discolored male guppy in the 36g tank. And in the 10g 1 female platy just died yesterday and another one is starting to look sick now.
What can i do?? I need some help here :(

STOP adding Salt ! It does not evaporate and it's easy to over salt your freshwater tank. Do a large water change, with Prime, NO salt and see how they do. Your 10g sounds overstocked. or at least at the limit.

I had a customer who almost killed his 17yr old Goldfish by oversalting his tank.

Welcome to AA!!! I agree on the salt- a couple of large water changes with temperature-matched, properly conditioned water should help to reduce the salinity. What are your exact water parameters & what are you using to test them (liquid or strips)? Did you cycle these tanks before adding fish? How long have the tanks been set-up? What meds have you used so far? Some more info will help us to try & figure out whats going on! :)

Back
Top Bottom