Why do my bettas die like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was curious to know but I have a sick betta, but I realized that all my bettas die the same way, with this really big inflated stomach, that almost looks white, what is this?

sounds like an internal parasite. are u adding them to the same tank? if u are it may still be in the water after the other betta has died. is it ina bowl or a filtered tank?
/

Its bloat and its horrible. I have a betta who has it right now. Sometimes it starts as simply constipation which can be relieved by feeding peas and adding epsom salts to the water. Sometimes its a bacterial infection. Its quite sad. Water quality is also very important as stated above. Clean water is the first defense - frequent water changes are important and a heated and filtered tank will also contribute to a bettas overall health and quality of life.
My betta was in a filtered and heated tank. His food was soaked before fed to him to minimize the risk of bloat, and he was fed as much of a pea as he would eat once a week. yet he still developed bloat. I haven't found the cause for my guys problem, but I'm keeping him comfortable since all attempts at a cure (epsom salts, feeding additional peas along with antibacterial food) have failed.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Are you feeding the same food? Using the same tank? Same gravel? Same supplier? There are plenty of possibilities for why the fish are all dying of the same problem. I mention gravel because my friend had a metallic aquarium gravel, sold in pet stores, in with her bettas and we suspected that the tiny flakes of paint we'd find were the cause of her deaths and so she switched gravel and the fish are now fine. You've just got to start making the most obvious changes and see how it goes from there.

Yes, it is the same tank gravel and everything. I c what you al are saying, Im still hoping mine will live a while longer (about 9-10 months old) but I'll doa through cleaning if I do plan on getting another occupant for the bowl.

Back
Top Bottom