why do my bettas keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just found my most recent one dead. I'd only had him from July last year. The longest I've had one was 2 years.

My last one was in a 10 gallon with 5 neon tetras, a ghost shrimp and 4 baby bristlenose plecos.

I'm very new to fish keeping and only have experience with a betta on its own. but I have heard thay tetras can pick on a betta, especially if the school of small.

Thats a heavy bioload for a 10g. BN can go in a 20L. But 4 would need a large tank. Neons probably would not harass a betta.

Can you give us your tank specs. Filter, wc schedule, parameters, a fts is helpful as well.

Thats a heavy bioload for a 10g. BN can go in a 20L. But 4 would need a large tank. Neons probably would not harass a betta.

Can you give us your tank specs. Filter, wc schedule, parameters, a fts is helpful as well.

The plecos are only in the tank until they are big enough to be sold.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

I try to do a water change every 3 days (just because of the baby plecos). I can't remember what type of filter I have

I'm very new to fish keeping and only have experience with a betta on its own. but I have heard thay tetras can pick on a betta, especially if the school of small.

The neons always stayed away from the betta. The only time they were ever close to him was during feeding

If nitrate are 20 with wc every three days I would assume that is a big concern. Most would consider 20 borderline acceptable so imagine what it is on off days. Being honest bettas being a labaryith fish can endure some poor water. The fact that you had him about 6 months means he probably 10months old give or take.
What percentage of water are you changing and are you using a liquid test kit

They are only listed to have 2-4 year lifespan in aquariums.
There are many variables from age of fish when you get it,to quality and history of care.
I wouldn't beat yourself up if he looked healthy and happy while you kept him.
To get a male betta to look like the ones most LFS sell could take a year alone depending on how they are raised,and by who ...

Only thing I have found is making sure change water is not poured back into tank too fast and maybe they get buffeted a bit. Depending on how big the water change is.

If nitrate are 20 with wc every three days I would assume that is a big concern. Most would consider 20 borderline acceptable so imagine what it is on off days. Being honest bettas being a labaryith fish can endure some poor water. The fact that you had him about 6 months means he probably 10months old give or take.
What percentage of water are you changing and are you using a liquid test kit

I usually take out about 3 gallons of water not sure what percentage that is. Yeah I use a liquid test kit

They are only listed to have 2-4 year lifespan in aquariums.
There are many variables from age of fish when you get it,to quality and history of care.
I wouldn't beat yourself up if he looked healthy and happy while you kept him.
To get a male betta to look like the ones most LFS sell could take a year alone depending on how they are raised,and by who ...

He was always swimming around and eating. But the past few days he had been sitting at the top of the tank and he wouldn't move. I couldn't even see his fins moving. And the only time he would move is if I put my hand in near him or tapped the glass

Back
Top Bottom