Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Why do Rainbows turn white?

I've seen it pretty consistently in rainbows, whether they be praecox, bosemani, madagascar, etc--at home and at various lfs. Their flesh slowly turns white and then they die. The whited flesh is usually swollen as well. I have a praecox that is going that way right now. It is much smaller than the other female I purchased at the same time about 3 months ago. There is also a pinkish raised area under one pectoral fin (this preceded "The Whitening"). Do they just turn white before they die or is it a parasite, fungus, bacteria...?

Old 12-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Poor thing I dont' know an abundance about this hobby but it sure sounds like something bacterial/parasitic.
Have you tried dosing with some of the products available for these conditions??

Is your tank a little crowded with 31 assorted fishies in 20gal?

Good luck with doctoring hope you find out soon whats up.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, it is WAY overstocked, but stable and well filtered. I actually had higher fatalities when I had fewer fish. My hornwort gobbles up the nitrate and I have good control over water quality. I'm hoping to get a much larger tank soon. I just moved the rainbow to qt and may start dosing the tank with antibiotics since it isn't eating well.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
It sounds like a fungus. If the scales are sticking out it is dropsy, I have a gourami that has dropsy and she is turning white. Otherwise I would guess a fungus or bacteria causing a fungus. A lot of fish lose their colors when they are sick.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The weird part is that they are not losing color. If anything it becomes more intense . The translucent flesh becomes white and opaque, and their scales are unchanged. There aren't any scales sticking out with the exception of a few at the pectoral inflammation. I am treating for bacteria and fungus.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good luck! That is strange that their color becomes more intense. I hope they make out ok.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 12-16-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think the increase in intensity is actually just the scales being on a white opaque background, making them look darker.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hope on the horizon? She is not as white as she was a few days ago, and doesn't seem as swollen. The pectoral sore is even less red. Either she is getting better or is about to die
I was only treating with melafix and pimafix. I also have some new medicated food, but she hasn't eaten it yet. She spends 90% of her time swimming in the same place facing in the same direction (always hiding the sore), but the rainbow in the other tank does that too.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I hope that means she's getting better too!

I just got some Jungle Anti-Parasite and Anti-Bacterial food. One betta ate the anti-bacteria food like his normal food. I gave the other two bettas the anti-parasite food. They both spit it out and kind of had a spasm as they spit it out. I softened both kinds of food in some tank water (not in the same cup!) and used a paring knife to cut it in little pieces for the bettas. They sure didn't like the anti-parasite food. I hope they got enough of it into them to help.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've done some research lately on swollen fish, dropsy, swim bladder and constipation. All of these illnesses are supposed to be eased by addition of epsom salt. As opposed to aquarium salt which can cause water and fluid retention, epsom salt draws fluids out of the fish. It is commonly used for constipation in humans. Hopefully she is on the mend.

-----------
Site Administrator

Tags
rainbows

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com