Why males guppies became colourless...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Two of my males guppies became colourless. :x It was fine yesterday and the colour was very nice. It wasn't the first time my guppies got decolourise, it died after one day last time. My two feet tank was filled with Neons, rummy nose, swordtail and guppies, all were not aggressive, others were fine, only two of the guppies decolourise. My fish tank was added with anti-chlorine and aquarium salt before all fishes were introduced to the tank, izzit that anti-chlorine or salt should not be introduced to the water? I also have three plants in the tank, will plants affect the fish health?

It is hard to give an accurate answer as to what may have been the cause without knowing a little more about your tank.

Do you know what the ph level is? Is it newly set up? Were the fish new, and if so, what way did you go about adding them to the tank?
As far as the additives, when did you put the anti chlor in and how much salt did you use? What size is the tank and did you add all the fish at one time?

The PH level is 7.5. Yes, its newly setup, some of the fish were new, some were transfered from the old tank. I just net them into the new tank with a fish net.

As for the addind of anti-chlorine and salt, i added them 5 mins before the fishes goes into the tank, i place about 3 tea-spoon of aquarium salt. Regarding the tank size, i don't know how to measure in gallon, i just know that its a 2-feet tank. Yes, i add all the fishes at the same time.

For more information, I have 80 neons, 4 rummy nose, 6 swordtails, guppies left 1. And two aquarium plants. Hope you could help me figured out whats wrong with the water or maybe the fishes. Sometimes have 1 neon tetra died with any death symtoms. No tetra diseases, no fins rots etc.

it sounds to me as if you lost the fish due to the shock of the tank change. You would not see any "symptoms" other than those of stress. It is best to change over to a new tank slowly...after the new tank has been up and running for a couple of weeks.

holy cow thats a lot of fish MY tank is 150 gal (six feet) and I would not put that many fish in it. you might need to check your ammonia level could be very high sords make a lot of wast

that is a LOT of fish for that tank size!!! 8O
definately test the water and refrain from adding any more fish to your tank. Typically the 'rule' is one fish per inch of tank, so, in your case a 2ft tank (24inches) should house only 24 total fish.

The way I heard the rule for freshwater tanks was "1 inch of fish per gallon".

I am assuming the 2 foot tank is 1 foot high and 1 foot deep, which makes it a standard 15 Gallon tank.

IMHO, that's an awful lot of fish in there.

Back
Top Bottom