Wierd eye on Female Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

It's been months since I've been on here. So I'm back in the swing and with a new problem. My female betta in a community tank eye on her right side is strange. It looks like there's skin ( or scales covering it). What's also covering it is sort of sticking out to. She seems to be acting ok. Hanging out at the bottom for then usual but appears to have no trouble going up or down. The eye on the left side is in perfect condition.

Great to be back

Scott K.
Espresso! Breakfast of Champions
:morning:

Sounds like pop-eye to me! Hopefully someone else can help you that has some more experience

Popeye it is. My mollies get it occasionally. I put them in my hospital tank and treat with melafix. Its been 100 % so far.

Popeye in general can have many causes, from a bacterial infection to parasites, and it is sometimes the result of infrequent water changes. How do the other fish in the tank look?

I would treat the betta with Maracyn or Kanacyn (antibiotics), unless you can see parasites -- then use an anti-parasite med. Do not use Melafix on a betta. Other fish respond well to it, but it can irritate the betta's labyrinth organ, causing further stress. Also, it wouldn't hurt to do one or two extra water changes this week in the main tank.

ok to to keep in in the main tank, or do I need to quarantine it? The other fish are showing no symptons.

Scott
Espresso! Breakfast of Champions
:morning:

I would QT the betta. Keep an eye on the other fish, but if they are showing no symptoms now, just take the betta out for treatment.

Back
Top Bottom