Will it grow back???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WillMurf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When i was moving house I bought a bigger tank for my FW Moray. His 1st night in there, it was him all alone with no ornaments or logs or anything. Except a Heater. Guess where my little fella decided to sleep. Now I know it's my fault but he is missing his whole fin. The burn on his side has healed now but the fin is still a little stump. Can anyone tell me if it will grow back? I feel soooo sorry for him.

make sure you do little but lots of water changes eg 10% , and keep the water to its best possible quality, this will help it grow back, you may wont to treat it with a medication to help it! I dont now if it will grow back, wait until some1 more knowledgeable comes along!
good luck :)

It should grow back, but they don't always. There are treatments to help fin rot which will aid in your fish's fin growth. Melafix and Primafix are the first choices.

he is missing his whole fin. The burn on his side has healed now but the fin is still a little stump.
That's tricky. Burned areas do not respond the same way as a nipped or torn area. Depending on how deep the burn, your finned friend maybe finless :( Often fins grow back--i.e. if a fish is nipped badly, but only finage is damaged. However, if a fish is nipped to the skin (huge chunk of fin and scales missing), the wound heals, but the fin will not grow back (you often see that on larger cichlids who lived with nasty tank mates). Certainly clean water will help and adding Melafix (make sure it’s okay for Morays) to prevent bacterial growth on the wound.

Definitely go with the melafix. I think it's odd that the fish would stay there even when the heater turned on. You'd think he'd head somwhere else, but I guess fish are cold-blooded so maybe not. Anyway, I'd stick w/the meds for sure and only time will tell whether it'll heal completely or not.

My betta had his fins ripped off to almost nothing and I used Melafix to help him but he wasn't burned. His fins look good as new now so it can't hurt to give it a try.

My royal pleco used to hide on the glass next to my heater and burned the top of his head and fin really badly - which was one of the reasons I went to a canister and inline heater. he's all healed up now but like others have said, burns heal differently than tears and bites...

Back
Top Bottom