will my dwarf puffer be ok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
So since Monday my dwarf puffer hasn't been eating. Any food I put in the tank it just ignores and usually it's straight over to the tweezers getting the bloodworms. Well I tested my water again and my ammonia is at 0 and my nitrates are at 10 but my nitrite has gone up to 1,0mg/l

Now all my puffer does is lie under one of the plant leaves in the tank and it will occasionally swim around, but it shows no interest in food. I've been doing a 50% water change once a day but I don't know if he will live.

I have a 30 gallon tank it could go in, but there are other fish in that tank

Can you possibly get a separator from your LFS and put the puffer in the other tank? Assuming that the other tank is fully cycled and doing well?

I know you already posted about this before but I don't recall if you ever said the tank was cycled or how long it's been up? Also please post all tank parameters you can test for. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, Temp, etc

Do you dose anything for plants or fish? Have you medicated anything in the tank? Is anything in the tank recycled from another tank?

I don't really want to say move the fish because you could just be setting yourself up for another problem. But for any of us to help we need as much detail as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you possibly get a separator from your LFS and put the puffer in the other tank? Assuming that the other tank is fully cycled and doing well?

I know you already posted about this before but I don't recall if you ever said the tank was cycled or how long it's been up? Also please post all tank parameters you can test for. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, Temp, etc

Do you dose anything for plants or fish? Have you medicated anything in the tank? Is anything in the tank recycled from another tank?

I don't really want to say move the fish because you could just be setting yourself up for another problem. But for any of us to help we need as much detail as possible.

I only have a small breeder trap. My other tank is fully cycled (has been set up for 6 years) and the tank the puffer fish is in had been cycled for a few months before I got the fish. I just use liquid carbon in both tanks.

These are the results for my 10 gallon

Ammonia 0,0mg/l
nitrite 1,0mg/l
nitrate 10 mg/l
ph 7.5
Temp 27c

I wonder if maybe it's got internal parasites? Thinking especially because you feed live foods that this could be a possibility. Have you noticed any possible signs?

Are you making sure to clean up well during water changes? Making sure to not leave anything rotting in hard to reach places? Again everything I read said puffers are very sensitive to nitrates. Your frequent water changes should be controlling those issues. How much do you feed him and how often?

Can you take pictures of the puffer as well? It may help someone on here figure out what is going on

I wonder if maybe it's got internal parasites? Thinking especially because you feed live foods that this could be a possibility. Have you noticed any possible signs?

Are you making sure to clean up well during water changes? Making sure to not leave anything rotting in hard to reach places? Again everything I read said puffers are very sensitive to nitrates. Your frequent water changes should be controlling those issues. How much do you feed him and how often?

I was feeding it twice a day usually frozen bloodworms, ramshorn snails and live brine shrimp. I have heard they can get internal parasites, but I'm not sure what the signs are. I'd post a photo but I don't know how to

It usually eats maybe 4 bloodworms or about 8 brine shrimp

Does the puffer look thin? Lumpy? What does its poop look like?

At this point leave him in the tank because if it is parasites you don't want have issues with your other tank

Does the puffer look thin? Lumpy? What does its poop look like?

At this point leave him in the tank because if it is parasites you don't want have issues with your other tank

Sorry for the late reply. Buy it doesn't look thin or lumpy it's poo looks normal as far as I can tell. But good news it started eating again so I'm not sure what was wrong with it.

There are snails in the tank so it could've been eating those

Well that's good news I hope everything works out

Back
Top Bottom