Wobbly Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a juvenile angelfish who seemed perfectly healthy (although a little crowded) from my LFS. But when I added him/her to my 46 gallon Amazon biotope, it started tilting to either size and staying in the corners. Is it something going on with the tank, or is it sick, or is it just shy?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438093916.073379.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438093930.075272.jpg
I'm including these pictures in case there's something that I didn't notice (This is my first angel.)

I recently bought a juvenile angelfish who seemed perfectly healthy (although a little crowded) from my LFS. But when I added him/her to my 46 gallon Amazon biotope, it started tilting to either size and staying in the corners. Is it something going on with the tank, or is it sick, or is it just shy?
View attachment 275745View attachment 275746
I'm including these pictures in case there's something that I didn't notice (This is my first angel.)

It looks stressed to me as its fins are closed (clamped). At this point there could be many reasons why it is stressed. The environment it is in now is much different to the LFS and the water chemistry may be a lot different to yours too. It's probably just an acclimatisation thing. Keep your eye on it and maybe leave the lights off for a while. Checks your parameters again also.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I checked the parameters and they are fine, and in the past my water chemistry has been very similar to the LFS's.

I checked the parameters and they are fine, and in the past my water chemistry has been very similar to the LFS's.

I agree with Caliban in regards to keeping an eye on things and turning off the light for now. Let the fish get adjusted to the new surroundings before taking any drastic measures. Be prepared however, if the fish starts to break down, it should be treated in a separate hospital tank. ( I am assuming you didn't quarantine the fish. :nono: )

As for your past history with the water chemistry: What was in the past may not be what is in the present. You need to check both tanks each time before adding fish. Your tanks may have changed or the store's water system may have changed without you realizing it. When it comes to fish, it's better to know than to guess.

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you for your responses. I did turn off the lights and make sure it is closely monitored. I also agree that I should have checked the parameters of the LFS water. About the quarantining, I don't have a large enough QT tank because my parents think it's ridiculous to have a big empty tank just sitting there all the time. Should I temporarily move the danios out of my 20 gallon and use that?

A qt tank doesn't have to be a big tank. It just needs to be a place where you can hold a fish or 2 to observe that they don't come down with disease and they can get used to a new place. This looks like a small Angelfish. It could have been QTed in a 10 gal tank with no problem. As for putting the fish in the other tank now, it's already exposed whatever is in there to whatever it has so it's not going to help. Just watch for any disease and treat accordingly.
You might want to explain to your parents that the object of QTing fish is to protect the display tank(s) from any diseases any new fish might be carrying. It is much easier and less expensive to medicate a sick fish in a smaller tank than it is in a larger tank. In fact, most packaged medications are dosed for 10 gals of water as this is the most common size hospital tank.

Hope this helps (y)

Pancake is still tilting and staying in the corner, but its fins aren't clamped as much, and it has been venturing to the middle of the tank occasionally.

Angelfish don't become sexually mature until about 8 months old +/- and in today's fish, the only way to be 100% sure is by watching them spawn. The one laying the eggs is the female. :brows: :lol: At this size, it's barely a 50/50 guess. Let it grow some then take another profile pic and hopefully I can help sex him/her for you. (y)

Back
Top Bottom