Wondering if there's anything I can do.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnypseudo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of the juli cory cats I had brought home from a pet store I had noticed before I even bought him, had a little fray in his fins. Otherwise he seems healthy and happy. There is no discoloration in his fins, it hasn't gotten better or worse since he's been home, and my other two cories are also perfectly fine and content. Since this was a pre-existing condition, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help it along or if that's just going to be how he is for the rest of his life. My double tail Beta also has a small bit of fraying, again that way when I brought him home, and he hasn't gotten worse or better either. I've read a little about using freshwater salts to help aid healing but I wasn't sure if that was the proper action here.

If healthy and happy otherwise is great, then I won't do anything, but I'd like to see what, if anything I could would be useful to them.

(tank info) I have two juli and one spotted cory cats and a double tail Beta, none of them are fully grown yet.

10 gallon tank filter/heater. Two live plants (one Amazon Sword, and the other a type of fern).

Ammo: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 5 Temp: 76-78 (and hasn't moved ever) pH: 7.8 (high but stable, haven't been sure if I should try peat moss in the filter since I'm afraid of the level spiking and not going back down to where it was previously fast enough with the PWCs, just afraid of spikes and drops that could disturb my fish. Read either way about lowering is good to, as long as its stable it's alright. I have no desire to get my cories to spawn which I've mostly see come up with trying to lower pH levels.)

Last edited:
Clean water is the best fix for growing fins from damage/fin rot.
Keep the params where they are now (maybe a few degrees warmer in the 78-80 range) and they should heal on their own.
Are their fins red at the base where they attach to the body?

No red on them at all, and if its just keeping the tank clean, I think I can do that. I'm doing a little under 50% water changes once a week right now, and constantly testing my levels and they don't change which is good. I've upped my heater just a little tomorrow I'll check the tank temp again and adjust it accordingly.

Sounds good. You could do a few smaller PWC in between as well just to help keep everything sparkling clean.

Alrighty, thank you so much, I'll start that probably tomorrow since I just did my PWC a couple of days ago. =D

No problem! I had this problem with my betta in my 5 gal a while ago, daily PWC of about 15% and he was good as new with no salt or meds.

Oh that's cool! My first Beta (god rest his fishy soul) had a little of the tattered fins as well, seems most of them do from the pet stores. It is nice to know there is such a simple solution =)

Back
Top Bottom