Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2004, 01:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wood/singapore shrimp and ich

Firstly: I don't have these shrimp and have never experience ich in my tanks.

I was just wondering (since I found these guys interesting in the lfs) since these are filter feeding shrimp whom feed on microorganisms...and ich have life cycles where they are not attached to fish do you think these shrimp will have an impact on keeping ich from spreading as fast or controlling outbreaks? Of course if you have a small tank or an unplanted tank I could see these guys starving after a few months (when there are few microorganisms left to feed on)...but they seem like a possible way to keep your fish safer from parasites.

I wonder if they would get nice and fat in a tank with a constant algae "bloom" problem?

Old 03-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did a quick search on google and this is what I came up with:

<<Species and Feeding Habits

In Puerto Rico there are 8 species of shrimp in the Atyidae family of which 5 are found in El Yunque. The members of this family are filter feeders. They take tiny particles from the water through specialized structures that resemble paint brushes. These structures are found on the first 2 pair of legs (pereiopods). They feed mainly on microscopic diatamous algae and decomposing material. In this manner they aid in the recycling of organic material and also cooperate with the"cleaning'' of the bodies of water. >>

This was on gorp.com

HTH

Tags
ich, rim, shrimp, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com