Worm/caterpillar organism found on plant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After I did a large PWC I added everything I needed and then I was looking at my plants & I noticed pieces of hornwort, and Val stuck together, I started to tear them off and finally the whole bunch came off. I was looking at the pieces plants and there's a caterpillar looking thing on them!!! Pictures in a minute.

img_1587896_0_feffcfd2cc10f400af23a5e34cceda79.jpg

img_1587896_1_c470b31167ca6cdd1155d850d95781eb.jpg

img_1587896_2_92f79d7dcbb316d15b65f0226b002404.jpg

:deadhorse: :hide:

Thanks, yeah that's what come closest to it.
After looking through some books I found The Pyralid family of moths, that led me to this after I did a Google search.

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/midge/Projects/Taxonomy/Mongolia/11Lepidoptera.pdf

The picture, description of food, and characteristics looks like it.

Well more reading and looks like I have something from the order of Lepidoptera, they make a "cocoon" out of plant material. Which would explain the pieces of leaves stuck together. Now to figure out where this came from. :banghead:

That's some good researching skills! :D Have you added the plants recently or have they been in there for a while?

Thanks!
Well!! I added horn wort, guppy grass, and java moss about a week ago. They were compacted and I rinsed/dipped them in a strong solution of hydrogen peroxide, there was nothing that I saw! I do that to all my plants. Unless it got it somehow with the plants. I really don't see how.

It might have, it probably did. Maybe it was inside/stuck to it and it somhow survived the peroxide dip? lol I have no idea, but plants are probably the cause of how it got in. What did you do with it? Is it in the tank?

Yeah the plant is the most logical way.
Well I had it in a small cup and then threw it out as far as I could! lol. I looked in my tank and couldn't find any more. Hopefully there is no more! :hide:

Yeah the plant is the most logical way.
Well I had it in a small cup and then threw it out as far as I could! lol. I looked in my tank and couldn't find any more. Hopefully there is no more! :hide:

Probably a good idea. Hopefully he's the only one. I think I'd faint if I saw that in my tank :lol:

Back
Top Bottom