Worm thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishnewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need your help again please.
My blue ram has a worm like thing attached to him behind his eye and before his gills. How do I treat it?
I only have esha 2000, white spot treatment, melafix and myxazin in the house.

It's a thin worm like thing in a circular shape behind his eye. There is no raised red wound where it comes out of skin so not sure. I saw a picture a parasite which looks like it. What is best treatment to use?

Scottishnewbie said:
It's a thin worm like thing in a circular shape behind his eye. There is no raised red wound where it comes out of skin so not sure. I saw a picture a parasite which looks like it. What is best treatment to use?

Salt always helps. Just dose a small amount and turn your heat up

It's white and thin, will try and get a picture in the morning. They are all hiding in caves and plants just now as light was off.

I would remove it with tweezers & dose the tank with aq salt. Or you could treat the tank with copper sulfate which kills most inverts. If theres one worm, it means there are probably more in your tank.

I have what sounds like the exact same issue in my 29g housing my rams. I have only noticed it on a couple of my cardinal tetras so far. I dosed it with a broad spectrum parasite/worm treatment that so far appears to be working. The worms were pinkish and are now white and appear to be dying or dead. I'll post the info on the product when I get home. If you don't have inverts or live plants salt should help, I have live plants so salt wasn't an option for me.

I have what sounds like the exact same issue in my 29g housing my rams. I have only noticed it on a couple of my cardinal tetras so far. I dosed it with a broad spectrum parasite/worm treatment that so far appears to be working. The worms were pinkish and are now white and appear to be dying or dead. I'll post the info on the product when I get home. If you don't have inverts or live plants salt should help, I have live plants so salt wasn't an option for me.

I use salt in my planted tanks, with snails, shrimp and dwarf crawfish.
And the tank that has an algae problem, is the tank I don't apply salt in. (Because of loaches and catfish in there)
Fortunately I haven't had to deal with worms. Just saying, you can use salt with plants, just don't go overboard!

Your ram might have gotten slashed by a crawfish peeling his skin off it's look wormlike as the scanned dead skin hangs in. Melafix is for that. Remove your carbon and give him a shot of melafix till your waters a bubbly foam mist at the top then do a partial water and then add the carbon back the next day

So the stuff I'm using is prazipro. Seems to be working well as the worms are gone and fish look to be healing up nicely.

Koikid88 said:
I use salt in my planted tanks, with snails, shrimp and dwarf crawfish.
And the tank that has an algae problem, is the tank I don't apply salt in. (Because of loaches and catfish in there)
Fortunately I haven't had to deal with worms. Just saying, you can use salt with plants, just don't go overboard!

Every where I've read said you couldn't use salt, learn something new everyday I guess.

kdpuffer said:
Every where I've read said you couldn't use salt, learn something new everyday I guess.

It depends on the plants. Some plants like java fern can live in brackish tanks. I've used salt in a planted tank also. I think it's a myth that it's going to kill off all your plants. It might melt some sensitive ones though.

Will try and get a picture tonight as still unsure if it is anchor worm or some other parasite. The man in my local aquarium shop said it could be hole in head as that's common in blue rams but without seeing the fish he couldn't be sure.

Can't really get a clear picture, will try again tomorrow. Thought I'd include a picture of my tank too! What do you think?

Attachments

• image-169922561.jpg
    image-169922561.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image-883788947.jpg
    image-883788947.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 51
Doesn't look so bad today. Just a faint white thread like around his eye- not sticking out like yesterday. I will do that tomorrow thanks x

Back
Top Bottom