Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Worms in substrate

Hi,

I’ve had my 55 gallon freshwater tank for over 20 years and this is the first time that I’ve gotten worms. I think they’re detritus worms, but I’d like more confirmation from the community. I’ve attached a video.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Iím definitely no expert, & as far as I know Iíve only had 2 worm experiences. Keeping that in mind, to me that looks more like a leech - how big is it? It looks kinda huge. I donít know what that is, but Iím almost certain detritus worms are only tiny... and are never black. But like I said, Iím no expert so I could be wrong. Either way, the safe bet would be to use a gravel syphon to give your substrate a thorough cleaning. Sorry I couldnít be of more help. Hope all goes well with it

Old 09-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Now that you mention it, they could be leeches. They have that flat look to them. Iíd say theyíre about 2, maybe 3 inches.

I guess Iíll try to do that gravel vacuum. Thatís how I spotted them the first time. I wonder if they came in with the plants.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Moved the decorations. Stressed out the pleco and loaches. The loaches were doing an excellent job of hiding in the decorations until they fell on the floor. I really looked hard too before lifting it out of the tank.

Vacuumed the gravel and evicted about a dozen of the leeches. Going to do this several more times, but Iím not sure Iím going to get them all. Is there a chemical method I should do or is that a last resort? The fish donít seem to mind them, but I donít know

Tags
ate, substrate, worm, worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com