Worried about Betta..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

River

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so, one of my male Betta fish, Rosco seems to be having an issue. He's probably around 2/3 years of age. I rescued him from a neighbor who didn't want him anymore, and he had fin rot when I got him, but I took care of that, and that was when I first got him, about a year and a half ago. Some info
-He's in a 3 gallon tank with heater and filter, heater is at 25C (roughly 78F)
-He has aquarium salt and his water is dechlorinated
- He eats Bio gold pellets/frozen blood worms/live brine shrimp I cultured
-Water changes are regular
-No substrate

Now his issue, he's eating and he swims around a bit, but he likes to sit at the bottom of the tank, he also seems to have a hard time locating his food, i have to literally poke the water and move the food directly in front of him so he can eat it. He is blue with orange fins, however I noticed that he has a patch on his head that is lighter blue and on his back just before the dorsal fin, could this be velvet? or? any ideas what could be wrong?

My other Bettas are healthy, and they live with the same conditions he does.

You have a fish that lives to be three to five years old who spent the first year of his life in less than ideal conditions. Age is probably a factor, although maybe not the only one.

Why are you using aquarium salt? I'm not an expert but I think usually you just use that if you're treating something.

Because he has had fin rot in the past, and the edges of his tail are frayed and ripped, it helps to prevent any more infection, it's also good for reducing stress for him, as he use to live in very stressful situations and thus I think he has lost some ability to fight infection. according to his old owner who did not use any salt, he got ich regularly along with other infections. When i first brought him home, I didn't use salt, but then I noticed that even in ideal conditions, he did get ich again, so to prevent this, I started adding it to his tank, and he has not had ich or any other parasitic or fungal infections since :)

Makes sense.

If you really want to do something I read somewhere that you can submit some sort of sample to someone and they'll tell you if there's anything you can do. I'm not sure how much it costs but it's probably cheaper and better for the fish than randomly medicating (like I'm doing right now).

So from the looks of it, Rosco has velvet, and I'll be treating him with copper, from what I got from a friend of a friend, Rosco's immune system has been suppressed, and thus he gets infections easily. I've moved him to a hospital tank, and I'll be keeping him there for a little over a week and see how he does.

EDIT#1
So, upon further inspecting, I would have to also conclude that Rosco is an "old man" he does seem to have cataracts, he doesn't spot his food very easily, I have to point it out to him, sometimes many times, and he's not nearly as bright, nor does he flare, so old age paired with illness... I will continue to try and treat him, but if he gets worse, I will have no choice but to opt to euthanize him, I love my little bud so much, and I certainly do not want him to suffer.

Final update: Rosco had to be put down this morning, as he was no longer eating, and just generally was not well, I didn't want to prolong his suffering anymore.
Rest In Paradise little buddy, swim free and without any illness or injury, I hope you had a good life. <3 Thanks for being my little pal. I'll miss you <3

Sorry to read. My condolences. I have a Betta on the old age decline as well. But he manages to get his share of the food even if he lays around 99% of the time. When he stops eating I will know it's time.

Back
Top Bottom