Worried about Denison barb.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L41

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have a 120L fully cycled tank with the following parameters : 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10ppm of Nitrates. In the tank, I have 5 gold barbs, 2 platys, 2 denison barbs and 2 amano shrimp.

Over the past 3 weeks or so, one of the denison barbs has become very dull and skinny. It rarely swims around the tank with the other fish. Instead it rests at the bottom of the tank amongst the plants or beside the filter unit. From time to time, it rests beside the filter unit facing the gravel below. I have also noticed that it moves its gills more frequently than the other denison barb.

It seems to spit out a lot of the food it consumes, particularly larger pieces of flake food. I feed them blood worm as well and I haven't seem it spitting them back out but it certainly doesn't have the same appetite that the other fish do.

Before this change in behaviour, I noticed that the other denison barb, which is well over twice the size of the skinny one, was chasing the smaller barb around the tank.

Anyway, anyone have any advice on what could be going on here? I am thinking parasites. I have checked its fins, mouth and scales and can see no obvious sign of disease (fin rot, white spot, redness around the gills) but the gill movement and spitting of food have me thinking parasite.

Note: The denison barbs were introduced into the tank 2 months ago.

Is your denison barb still hanging in there?

If so, this sounds like a tough one. Although I do have 12 denison barbs, this has never happened - but it has happened with my black skirt tetras. I originally had four, and one of them was much smaller, not eating as much as the others, and pale-ish. This was rectified after adding more black skirts (we now have 15), as we relaized that he was being bullied by the others. Once, however, we added more of their kind, the bullying was dispersed, and the problem disappeared.

Back then, I did some research on causes of eating problems, loss of colour, etc., and this is what I recall as possible culprits:

1) a recent change in food type

2) bullying/competition (may be helped by adding more of their kind, sounds odd, but it is true!)

3) generally a weaker fish, more susceptible to negative water conditions (this can include chlorine, but of course, ammonia and nitrites are bigger culprits, which we don't want in our tanks, weak fish or not!)

4) disease (you mentioned nothing visable on his body, but of course there is always the nasty parasite that lingers)

I do hope that your denison is still with you, and I wish I could be of more help!

This does not sound very good, sadly. Laboured breathing, might be gill flukes possibly ? I've never seen a case, only read about it, so I know they exist. I'd have to look them up to find out anything about them, so it's only a suggestion. It does sound more like parasites than infection, given no signs of anything external other than behavioural, breathing issues.

I took a trip to my local aquarium, with a video and photos of the fish. After some discussion, they diagnosed it as gill flukes and gave me treatment to add to the water which lasts for 10 days for gill & body flukes. I am nearing the end of that treatment and all is looking much better in the tank. The fish is much more active and feeding well.

Will keep you posted on how it ends.

At least is is something you can treat. I wish you success. I'm sorry I guessed correctly :-(. Having since looked it up, the spitting of food is something that goes with it, among other symptoms. Do hope it goes well.

I'm glad to hear things are still on the "up". I sure hope he makes it....whatever happens, just know that you did what you could, with the knowledge you have (it is sometimes so tough to know "what" is "what") and you have done more than some people would do. Keep the updates coming...I'm sending positive vibes to the little guy!

Back
Top Bottom