Worried about glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help! Ok so all my other glofish are zipping around but my purple one, he is just kinda sitting above the water hovering and jerking his fins, moving forwards and backwards occasionally is he alright ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It could be as a result of stress

I had a glofish turn "zombie" for a day and a half from being chased. He, too, hovered at the top and didn't even move for food.

Do you have a bully in the tank? Are they schooled, 6 or more? ( Mine aren't, yet )

Adding hiding spots like big (faux) plants might help for the future. They won't hang out or really swim thru the plants but they will go to the plants to escape a chase.

If you have a bully, you can try what I did.... I chopstick chased the bully every morning when he would start the mean (not the brief) chasing of the other 2. It tired him out enough that they got some rest.

I, also, played Debussy and other peaceful music for them. Sound carries better in water than air so don't blast them out.

I've also played Indian Spirit flute music, classical guitar and environmental ocean sounds "music". I think they all enjoyed the peaceful classical music.

Edited: Mine are the glofish danio, I don't have any glofish tetra or barbs.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Got it I'll go ahead and check them, I thought that salt was bad for fresh water fish?

It is if you use it all the time but to treat stress and other observable issues it can be a literal life saver. Standard dose is one tablespoon per five gallons but it is good to start with a half dose for 12 hours or so and make sure none of the fish react negatively (effectively never happens but some people have claimed they had a fish not react well, so okay to start with half a dose).

my lfs will not sell glofish danio because there are always problems with them he says the tetras do alot better , I have seen a lot of deformed glofish danio , broken mouths, missing eyes , the coral gene mess them up more than other types of fish
I would go with natural gold barbs instead and cardinal tetras unless you are using a blaCK LIGHT

Mine are actually the glofish tetras

Yes I am using a black light, though today they have all just been relaxing none gasping, no color loss and none going crazy over food

The coral gene does nothing more than change their color. The very limited gene pool (small founding population) can result in more deformities and them being a little less hardy, but not what you are describing. I am guessing the ones you have seen with so many problems are caused by their handling and care, not them being Glofish.

Back
Top Bottom