Worried about my fishies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leikela

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I'm a bit concerned about my fishes - they were fine this morning but when I got home they've all congregated at the top of the tank not looking very happy. I've tested the water and can't find anything wrong there, the only change is that I added a new filter to run alongside my other one. Could that be the problem? My assumption is that it's O2 related but I don't know how to fix it! I've got some plants in there which have been flourishing bug I haven't put any fertiliser in or anything like that. They look so sad and I'm worried about my pregnant girlies :(
Any ideas would be gratefully received

Lower the water level by 2 inches, and turn on the bubbler/airstone if you have one.

Thanks, water change done and bubbles turned on - hopefully they'll perk up. I'll search for some pics of what my filter should look like (how much should be underwater) and check that's right as it's the first internal I've bought aside from the one that came with the tank which is pretty idiot proof - never thought some finned friends could make me worry so much!

Thanks, water change done and bubbles turned on - hopefully they'll perk up. I'll search for some pics of what my filter should look like (how much should be underwater) and check that's right as it's the first internal I've bought aside from the one that came with the tank which is pretty idiot proof - never thought some finned friends could make me worry so much!

If you have in-tank filters, I wouldn't recommend lowering the water level. The air stone should help and PWC are a fishies best friend :D.

My in-tank filter has a mini spray bar that I keep just above the water line so it breaks the waters surface tension and allows for proper gas exchange.

The filter was growling at me when I lowered the water level below the top sprayer thingy (it's a Fluval U2), got a bit worried! Might try and attach the twizzly big at the top to see if that helps with the bubbles. They definitely look happier now, although a couple are still hanging out up the top. They wouldn't be unhappy with the 'draft' from the new filter would they? I'm a bit of a newbie to fishkeeping :-/

The filter was growling at me when I lowered the water level below the top sprayer thingy (it's a Fluval U2), got a bit worried! Might try and attach the twizzly big at the top to see if that helps with the bubbles. They definitely look happier now, although a couple are still hanging out up the top. They wouldn't be unhappy with the 'draft' from the new filter would they? I'm a bit of a newbie to fishkeeping :-/

My in-tank fluval was doing that growling noise and I figured out that some of my free floating biomedia (noodles) were getting up into the impeller chamber and causing the noise. I just bagged them in some mesh I have to keep them together and no more growl :dance:.

if its moving the water at the surface then they are probably getting plenty of o2. I would double check everything else. I mean what would cause them to be low on o2 in this instance but not any time before.

Mr. Limpet said:
My in-tank fluval was doing that growling noise and I figured out that some of my free floating biomedia (noodles) were getting up into the impeller chamber and causing the noise. I just bagged them in some mesh I have to keep them together and no more growl :dance:.

Thanks, I'll try that - it seems fine when it's underwater!

Fishes all back up top despite 40% change and bubbles on. I'm so confused :(

Thanks, I'll try that - it seems fine when it's underwater!

Fishes all back up top despite 40% change and bubbles on. I'm so confused :(

What are your water parameters and how do you test (liquid or strips)?

In general low o2, ammo or nitrItes (no2) can cause a fish to gasp at the surface. Check their gills too, redness can be a sign of high ammo too.

Mr. Limpet said:
What are your water parameters and how do you test (liquid or strips)?

In general low o2, ammo or nitrItes (no2) can cause a fish to gasp at the surface. Check their gills too, redness can be a sign of high ammo too.

Testing the water was the first thing I tried - all at 0, temp is 27c/81f, pH is around 7.6. Always use liquid testing, wasn't even aware it was possible with strips! Can imagine it's not as accurate?

Mollies have descended now but my poor guppies are really struggling. No signs of red gills or any other fishy illness I can identify.

leikela said:
Testing the water was the first thing I tried - all at 0, temp is 27c/81f, pH is around 7.6. Always use liquid testing, wasn't even aware it was possible with strips! Can imagine it's not as accurate?

Mollies have descended now but my poor guppies are really struggling. No signs of red gills or any other fishy illness I can identify.

Strips are not worth it IMO, yet are still used.

Temp and pH are good, but when you say all zero's, even the nitrAtes (no3) is 0ppm?

Is your tank fuly cycled?

leikela said:

The guppies are supposed to be hanging out at the top lol. That's their area of the tank. As long as there's no rapid gill movement (or floating belly up lol) they should be fine up there.

Mr. Limpet said:
Strips are not worth it IMO, yet are still used.

Temp and pH are good, but when you say all zero's, even the nitrAtes (no3) is 0ppm?

Is your tank fuly cycled?

It's been going since march, mollies went in around April, guppies in May.

I used an API test kit for the nitrates and it looks at (or very close to) 0, no higher than 5ppm. Need a more accurate kit really as it's one where there's a colour coded chart to check.

I (and most here) use the API test kit and it's the best choice for the money IMO.

If there's any orange in the no3 test and it's not (bright) yellow, then it sounds like you have some nitrAtes and that test is the trickiest of the 5. Do you have plants? If so they will use the no3 for food.

Sounds like everything is in good shape to me and as long as you doing regular PWC, they should be happy campers. When you say the guppies are struggling, do you mean breathing wise, swimming pattern? Like Homedog said, they are top water swimmers and they should shoal together (mostly).

Mr. Limpet said:
I (and most here) use the API test kit and it's the best choice for the money IMO.

If there's any orange in the no3 test and it's not (bright) yellow, then it sounds like you have some nitrAtes and that test is the trickiest of the 5. Do you have plants? If so they will use the no3 for food.

Sounds like everything is in good shape to me and as long as you doing regular PWC, they should be happy campers. When you say the guppies are struggling, do you mean breathing wise, swimming pattern? Like Homedog said, they are top water swimmers and they should shoal together (mostly).

They're right up at the top with their faces almost out of the water and not swimming around. Usually they're really active up the top but they're not really moving at all, except their gills of course which looks more rapid than normal (it's difficult to tell ad they're usually too fast for me to peer at!). Am I just being completely clueless and they're actually sleeping?!

They're right up at the top with their faces almost out of the water and not swimming around. Usually they're really active up the top but they're not really moving at all, except their gills of course which looks more rapid than normal (it's difficult to tell ad they're usually too fast for me to peer at!). Am I just being completely clueless and they're actually sleeping?!

I wouldn't say you're being clueless because it makes no sense. I can see some minor issues with o2 maybe, but even that should have equalized since you turned on the air stone. Looking at some guppy sites, everything you've listed as being OK, are indicators of what would be the problem.

Sorry, but what size tank and fish stock again? Also do you have plants or co2?

Back
Top Bottom