Would red cherry shrimp work in my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not get eaten?

I have a 29 gallon high tank. My stock is

6 peppered cory catfish
1bristlenose pleco
6 diamond tetras
3 dwarf neon rainbow fish
1 Bolivian ram
3 platys
6 neon tetras

My tank also has driftwood and real plants

ForumRunner_20120111_222754.jpg

Impulse09 said:
Not get eaten?

I have a 29 gallon high tank. My stock is

6 peppered cory catfish
1bristlenose pleco
6 diamond tetras
3 dwarf neon rainbow fish
1 Bolivian ram
3 platys
6 neon tetras

My tank also has driftwood and real plants

I think youd be safe! Fry might be eaten by the ram though

That's fine as long as the full grown shrimp will not get eaten.

i agree with jetajockey... babies are for sure gonners, and rams would pick at their feelers until they die of stress. i think shrimp are really better off in invert focused tanks with a small school of nano fish to add interest to the top of the tank. they're just too hunted in community tanks.

blackmolly said:
i agree with jetajockey... babies are for sure gonners, and rams would pick at their feelers until they die of stress. i think shrimp are really better off in invert focused tanks with a small school of nano fish to add interest to the top of the tank. they're just too hunted in community tanks.

Are rcs that sentitive and small?

I would not be so quick to say 'no' to rams and cherry shrimp. I have two bolivian rams in a 75g with at least 20 red cherry shrimp and the rams do not bother the shrimp at all. Just tonight one ram was eating dinner while ignoring the eight rcs frolicking around him. My shrimp are a mix of adults and older juvies. My rams are older too, not frisky young things. Age of fish might make a difference I suppose. These rams just cruise around minding their own business (until they meet up with each other, then they tussle for a bit). :lol:

I said no to rams and rcs because I have had a lot of experiences with both and it's just never worked out. In fact, most fish don't work out if the end goal is to have a breeding/growing population of RCS. If you don't care about losing the shrimp then give it a shot, some people do matchups like this with their extra shrimp (when a tank becomes overpopulated), and who knows, it might work out.

Just like with feeder fish and a big cichlid, if you keep him well fed he might leave them alone for days, or weeks, but it's only a matter of time. It could be made to work, but it's asking them to go outside of their nature to do so.

Back
Top Bottom