Wound of side of guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikfab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

My husband noticed this wound on our male guppy today. I have moved him into a quarantine tank and treated it with melafix (that's all I have on hand) and salt to help it heal. Is this a bacterial disease? There has been no aggression in my tank that I have seen which makes me think this is a disease rather than an injury. If so, what do I do? Any ideas on what it could be? I don't want the rest of the tank to be at risk. When I removed him, I also did a 30-40% water change in the main tank and treated it with salt and changed for a new filter.

I have 7 guppies (1 male, 6 female), 4 Cory catfish, 4 Otto catfish, 4 diamond tetra, and 4 amano shrimp. Water parameters are 0 ammonia and nitrite and about 5-10 nitrate. IMG_20200213_193155450_BURST009.jpegIMG_20200213_193155450_BURST003.jpegIMG_20200213_192935121.jpegIMG_20200213_193155450_BURST001.jpegView attachment 1

Careful about the new filter, I assume you mean a new filter pad? That can lead to mini cycling. Hopefully you know how to mitigate that issue!

How big are both tanks? Any decor that might be sharp? Any idea how long this took to develop?

Hard to tell from pictures but that sure looks like a physical abrasion to me.

Hi there! Sorry, yes I meant filter pad. It's a 36 gallons tank. I don't believe there is anything sharp in my tank. His wound also has some white stringlike stuff hanging from it. It just showed up yesterday. If it is a physical abrasion, then I'm dumbfounded. I have a centerpiece rock formation with all rounded edges and I have live plants with eco complete substrate.

The guppy didn't make it. Literally 48 hours. I attached a photo here. Anyone know what this is?1581715999199.jpeg1581716027657.jpeg

Honestly I have no idea. I wouldn’t expect a tumor to grow very fast. Swelling from an injury or internal parasites perhaps.

What is the size of your tank and what else is in there. Any problems from the rest of your fish. Any white / stringy poop to indicate parasites?

Since you’re not sure best to assume it’s zoonotic just to be safe. Wash your hands after messing with the tank and throw the fish in the trash or bury it rather than dumping it in the toilet. (Not a bad practice anyway when your lose fish, to mitigate chance of adding something bad to the water supply.)

Keep the water very clean with water changes and monitor your other fish for any developing issues

Back
Top Bottom