Yuck - Ich on my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-n-Chips

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I added 10 Cardinal Tetras to my 45g planted tank about a week ago, and last night noticed that 4 of them have about 3-6 white spots each. I think it's Ich. None of my other fish (several kinds of Gourami, Danios, Black Neons, Corydoras etc.) seem to be affected at this time, and obviously I don't want it to spread. I have read several of the articles regarding Ich but I'm having a hard time to decide what to do;

- Do I remove and dispose of the cardinals?
- Do I medicate but risk the health of the other fish?
- Should I try the heat / salt treatment and risk my plants?

Also, should I replace the filter media after getting rid of Ich, in case the ich remains in there?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I vote for the heat treatment. IMO, the heat should treat your filters, too.

Heat treatment is the way to go! Ich has to go through it's cycle and heat will greatly increase the speed of it. I just got my first case of ich a few days ago the tank is now sitting at 87-88 Degrees and my fish is doing great. The tank will have to stay at this temp for 2 weeks in order to make sure the ich is completely gone.

Slowly increase the temperature by 1.5 degrees every 24 hours to a max of 86-87 and make sure you greatly increase aeration by lowering the water level and turning airstones on. Hotter the temperature the less oxygen. Make sure you're fish are breathing alright and they may show some signs of stress which is common, although my fish is as happy as can be.

Also make sure you do daily 10-25% water changes and good gravel vacs to pick up parasites in the water and cysts in the gravel.

I don't advise you to use any medications especially ones containing copper, it will contaminate you're tank and is extremely hard to rid of even if you clean the tank completely. You will never be able to house invertebrates in it.

I was told not to use salt unless it was a severe case of ich (Which it's not I caught it very early). If the fish are having a hard time breathing it may be because the ich is in it's gills, then salt will help you.. otherwise don't bother.

Thanks guys. I didn't read your replies until this morning. This Ich thing freaks me out as my Farlowella is now showing spots as well. Last evening I did a 50% water change, slowly raised the temp to 86/87 and vacuumed the gravel. Went to the LFS and was advised to get "Nox Ich" - used it at 50% of the recommended dose. The fish don't seem stressed by it (yet).

I was also told that I should leave the tank lights off as it could oxidize the malachite green and render it ineffective. Does anyone have experience with Nox Ich? Any advice?

Your temp is already 86/87?? Was it 85 before?? Andrew advised that you raise the temp 1.5 degrees every 24 hours until you reach 86/87. If you raised the temp too quickly you stress out the fish.

I am having a bout of ICH in my tank too; discovered very early thankfully. I am not using salt because of plants. I used a very weak dose of Malachite Green first and now have slowly raised my temperature to 86º, maybe a half degree higher.

Question: How long does one have to keep temperatures this high to kill ICH? :confused:

Question: How long does one have to keep temperatures this high to kill ICH? :confused:
I noticed that Joy answered this question for you in another thread, so this is for everyone else.

You'll want to keep the temp up for 2 weeks AFTER the last visible sign of ich.

Back
Top Bottom