Zebra danio bulge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokkzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a school of 6 danios in a 10g. There are 2 that have bulging stomachs. I feed them twice daily and the other 4 look normal and streamlined. So are the bulging ones overfed, constipated, or just females full of eggs? I've had all these fish for over a month.

Sorry for the pics but these guys are fast.

Attachments

• image-2972485920.jpg
    image-2972485920.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 211
  • image-716760013.jpg
    image-716760013.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 99
  • image-3608250223.jpg
    image-3608250223.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 91
Hi, mind you I'm no expert (my experience with fish is exactly one month's worth), but I have Glofish which are modified Zebra danios. Two of mine have distended stomachs and the other two are streamlined. From what I've read, the streamlined ones are males and the fatter ones are females. But maybe someone on here more experienced will reply with better advice. Did they look like that when you got them or is the bulging something new? That might be a place to start in trying to figure out if they are female or if something is wrong with them....

When I got them they were slightly more bulgy (if that's a word) than the others. I had looked it up and had read the females looked more rounded than males. But over the course of the last 2 weeks 2 have gotten larger. All my fish eat and are very active, even the bulging ones. So there's no difference in activity, just shape.

I would have to say they may be overfed. I feed once daily, and after eating my danio appears quite fat, just like that.

Most people advise feeding once a day and fasting once a week or feeding once every other day.

Furthermore to aid digestion, feed soft, boiled, crushed-up shelless peas once a week.

Yep, it's kinda a fix-all for digestive problems. They sink fast though, so make sure you crush them up really good.

Back
Top Bottom