Zebra Danio help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just woke up and my zebra danio is swimming weird, upside down, on his side, and his mouth is moving very fast like. Anyone know what could be the problem? I tested his water and it is all perfect and where it should be. And his swimming is slow too.

Weird thing he went from upside down lying on the bottom gasping to being perfectly fine now. For the past 2 hours he has been back to his normal self again. So strange.

Calypso77 said:
I just woke up and my zebra danio is swimming weird, upside down, on his side, and his mouth is moving very fast like. Anyone know what could be the problem? I tested his water and it is all perfect and where it should be. And his swimming is slow too.

Perfect means nothing without actual numbers. I have kept zebra danios for over 3 years and the only time I've seen odd behaviour similar to your description was when I had an ammonia spike followed by a nitrite spike. They became lethargic and had red gills and movements were very irratic at times.

Please provide actual ppm numbers for the major testing elements. Ammonia nitrite nitrate and pH please.

Jon

Perfect means nothing without actual numbers. I have kept zebra danios for over 3 years and the only time I've seen odd behaviour similar to your description was when I had an ammonia spike followed by a nitrite spike. They became lethargic and had red gills and movements were very irratic at times.

Please provide actual ppm numbers for the major testing elements. Ammonia nitrite nitrate and pH please.

Jon

If you read my follow up post you will see he is completely normal now and has been for over 2 hours.

Calypso77 said:
If you read my follow up post you will see he is completely normal now and has been for over 2 hours.

I read it but I was just trying to help.

Forget it then obviously your water chemistry is PERFECT.

Jon

Calypso77 said:
Calm down dude there is no reason to be snarly and rude with people.

I wasn't being snarly. Lol. Just trying to help.

Like I said I've kept them for around 3 years and the only time they acted strange was when something was a miss with the water quality. They are super hardy fish to the point they were living in a completely crashed tank (thnx to my wife) with a pH in the low 4's they survived after I took over the tank and done PWC after PWC.

Sometimes it just seems that perfect can actually mean not so perfect.

Sorry if I came off a little rude.

Jon

Ph is 8.2, ammonia is 0, trites are 0 and trates are between 10 and 20.

Calypso77 said:
Ph is 8.2, ammonia is 0, trites are 0 and trates are between 10 and 20.

So there's nothing here to presume its your water.

Did you feed anything other than your norm today?

Is this a female danio?

I've also found that after females have laid their eggs they can behave slightly strange due to a lighter load so to speak.
Males are streamline and females have a larger rounder appearance.

Jon

I hadn't even fed it yet today but no it eats the same food everyday. I'm not sure if it's female or male, so hard to really tell. It's the only one in the tank til tomorrow so I have nothing to compare it to.

Calypso77 said:
I hadn't even fed it yet today but no it eats the same food everyday. I'm not sure if it's female or male, so hard to really tell. It's the only one in the tank til tomorrow so I have nothing to compare it to.

I would just wait and see what happens.

Danios do better in groups of at least 5. I have 7 in my 50g community. When you have more you will be able to tell m or f. M's are sleaker than F's and F's have an overall larger appearance along with the rounded under bellies.

Like you said everything's been fine for 2 hours so far just keep an eye on him/her.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom