2 Red ???? Things? for ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today i rotated a piece of live rock in my tank and i found this growing on the underside of it.....It actually looks quite good :) I wouldn't mind if it started popping up all over the rock. Just curious to know what it is if anyone knows.

Also i've been wondering what these pink things are that like to grow on certain pieces of LR in my tank? Any ideas? At one stage they had totally overgrown a piece of rock and i took it out and tried to get them off it but they were stubborn. They seem to favour certain pieces of rock only?

Just a note, the second red thingies are kind of hard....if you try to squeeze them some of them pop like they are air tight? So they aren't sludgy like an algae.

In the first 2 pictures looks like sponges which are harmless.(But will let the experts decide.) the 3rd picture I believe you are dealing with Bubble Algae. I would take off your Koralia and scrub it off...

The 1st is a type of red marco algae, probably botryocladia.sp. The 2nd looks to be the same with maybe a little cyano or dinoflagettes mixed in. 3rd pics looks like a combo of the same with some coralline and turf algae.

Thanks for the info!! I guess i was wondering are they harmless? I know the cyano is bad....just more wondering should i be getting rid of the other?

If it starts growing wild, you can prune it, but it's fine otherwise. If you have any tangs they will eat it, at least mine ate what was on my rocks. The Koralia you can just take out of the tank and scrub it clean in the sink. You want to try to keep those vents open so it can suck in the water.

Back
Top Bottom