Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
4 Leaves growing out of Live Rock

I have 4 leaves coming out of one hole, they have a dark green color with a little brown mixed into it. Cant explain it any better than that..but is it bad/good, idk what it is. It seems to have grown, i just now noticed it and its the first peice of live rock i've had in my tank which has been up and running about 3 months.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

looks like some sort of micro algae
Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do i need to try to remove it?
Old 06-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on the macro. It is up to you if you want to remove it. It won't harm the system and will help by consuming nutrients in the tank. Many people have it in their sumps/refugiums.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
+1 on the macro. It is up to you if you want to remove it. It won't harm the system and will help by consuming nutrients in the tank. Many people have it in their sumps/refugiums.
If i tear it off the live rock can i toss it on my base rock in my sump to spread, or just leave it? Either way im going to my lfs, they are giving me some macroalgae scraps they have sitting there today, to use for my sump im setting up 2night
Old 06-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you take just the leaves off I don't know if it will grow. Plus if you leave roots in the rock then they may come back. Don't forget to get a light for your sump for the macro in there!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
If you take just the leaves off I don't know if it will grow. Plus if you leave roots in the rock then they may come back. Don't forget to get a light for your sump for the macro in there!
Yup i got one, carey pointed me out to one that came with a bright light and pump. Its a nice one, im going to hook it up tonight hopefully! But what would you do with the macro on the rock in my display, i dont really need any for my sump maybe.. Im getting some at my lfs, they are scraps tho but a little should be enough right? I could maybe put it in my sump if need be.. And have one live rock peice in there
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... to each their own. If it doesn't bother you it can stay in the display. If it does then go ahead and remove it. It looks like Caulerpa which I think is slow growing so shouldn't be bad for a display tank. I don't know if it needs to be anchored though (some won't grow just free floating in the tank. If it needs to be anchored then you will need to pull off the roots and put them on some rubble in the sump.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. Do i need to keep sump light on 24/7?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

From what I understand you don't. Someone told be at some point to have them on oposite what the display lights are on. I haven't decided on that just yet because I don't know if I want light coming out of the stand in the middle of the night... guess it would be a good night light

Tags
leaves, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com