a case of the crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrackishAqua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a crab lurking in my tank. He's white with black tips on his claws. i never seen him until i had a recent diatom bloom on the sand and now he just hangs out in the sand all day eating diatoms. which i don't mind at all :D but just want to know what kind of crab it is.

crab.jpg

crab1.jpg

Can you get a better picture of his claws

Rounded = good algae eater

Pointed = not good and could easily munch a fish

Just remember all crabs are opportunists and will eat what they can when they can as the crab becomes large. If you cannot get a positive ID I would move him to the sump.

Can you get a better picture of his claws

Rounded = good algae eater

Pointed = not good and could easily munch a fish

Just remember all crabs are opportunists and will eat what they can when they can as the crab becomes large. If you cannot get a positive ID I would move him to the sump.

heres pics of the claws. He just uses the claws to shove sand in his mouth

crabbb.jpg

crabb.jpg

I believe you have a gorilla crab , they are bad news
best way to catch is with a baited tilted glass that he can get into but not crawl out as the glass is slick , once you catch him and if you have a sump just drop him in there and let him live there
images

Its not a gorilla crab. I compared mine to gorilla crab pictures and they are definitely not the same. mines always on the sand sifting through it. would be really easy to catch. he doesn't bother any corals and he doesn't even eat fish food that falls next to him. just loves munching sand

after many many hours of reading and researching i found what it is. Lophopanopeus bellus bellus (Black-clawed crab) which feeds mostly on algae and plants.

Back
Top Bottom