A few more IDs please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok if I get a camera for x-mas yall are gonna see ALOT of pics :)

ok first one, the one I am slightly worried about.

last night I get home, look at my tank..already aggrivated with it, I just lost my clown goby for unknown reasons...the lights on the tank are out, the room lights are out, has been for a few hours. only light is from my comp monitor.

First thing I see, is a bristle worm that is much larger than I remember...about 3-4 inches..then I see this really really REALLY REALLY long string behind him...hmm..maybe he is pooping?? Haha not that lucky (ok I over stresed the size, but this is a 10 gallon tank where the biggest planned fish will be an inch and a half) I kinda noticed that the bristleworm was tryin to pull away from this thing.. this string had 6 visible inches, was still securily in the sand, was less than a millimeter thick. had no visible legs or anything...it looked like a string. It was greyish in color. ok I thought maybe it was a piece of the green algae stuff I have in the tank to help with nitrates, and it was late and the colors were off..that or my eyes whre off at 2am...and then the thing started to move.

1) so basically 6+ inch grey worm, very thin, no visible legs, or anything I could make out.

2) The other ID quistion, hitchiker crab ( yes another one) came in on my ricordia. almost remind me of a sally lightfoot, except stockier, but not like a mithrix crab. he is very very shy, and very very small, body size..not even 1/4 inch reddish brown color, solid color, no stripes or identifying marks that I have noticed..any ideas, links?

3) and some odd thigns. 2 --1.5 inch long foggy white whiskers comin out of hte sand, and searching for stuff? they appear to be coming from the same thing, so I guess it has 2 of em :)

another
4) Looks like FW fungus, except that it moves, the arms are thicker and very clear, and the arms have white tips, and appears to have a visible mouth much like my ricordia and hitchiker mushroom

5) another..looks like a mushroom, about 1/4 inch across, resish brown in color, but there is a green stripe from the center of it to the outside. in one place only, is not symettrical.

Wow. These are purely guesses so take them for what they are.... :)

1 sounds like a ribbon worm. It may have been checking out and that's why the bristleworm was doing away with it.

2 sounds like a rock crab. Ok scavanger while small but will get large and be a potential problem later.

3 sounds like a spaghetti or sand mason worm.

4 possibly an orange ball mushroom

5 sounds like a mushroom coral. Not all are symetrical.

HTH

ok so what I saw with the skinny worm may have ben the other way around? I guess that makes a bit more sense anways. btw is that type of worm ok?

ok the crab, I guess it is wait and see then? getting pics of him will be near impossible

that snad mason thing ok I take it right?

#4 doesnt look like any type of mushroom or disc anenemoe, there is no disc oranything, all arms seem to apparantly come out of a central point

5 I hope is a mushroom coral, that would mean that I have managed a banded aneneme crab, 2 hawaiin feather dusters, and 2 differant types of mushrooms as hitchikers.

To tell you all these things are safe is again just a guess. But, nothing your describing sounds like anything to be overly concerned with with the exception of the crab. You may have to eventually make a decision on that since as they get bigger, they become more predatory and may take down any small fish as well as eating snails.
The orange ball mushroom won't look like any mushroom your used to seeing for sale. It's a very cool animal but it is nocturnal and very much resembles a cup coral or small anemone. But, they have white/cream/orange ball tips on their tentacles. I'll find a picture for you to compare it to.

Here is one example. The ball tips on this one are very orange.
http://www.kasson.com/LCD/Orangeball.htm

Also, here is another thread not long ago with one that may be more typical of what you will find.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=90579&highlight=orange+ball+mushroom

Back
Top Bottom