a medium sized white crab with big claw.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I moved my rocks around to try and see if my lion fish had died because it had disappeared for weeks. No sign of him but i did find a atleast 1" to 1.5" round crab --(just the body was this big).

it was as white as my crushed coral. and definitely had one big claw. not sure if it had two cause he hurried into another rock and hid.

my tank has been established with live rock for about 2 years now and ive never seen it before so idk if i will get to see it again for a picture.

any ideas what it could be? Is it a good thing to have or a bad thing?

Usually big claws are not a good sign, but if it was in there for 2 years already I wouldn't worry too much. I highly doubt it had anything to do with the lion disappearing.

I agree with Cccapt that if it`s not done anything so far than you should hopefully be OK. If you get a chance try the tilted glass in the tank trick to catch him and take his pic.

Would have taken a long time for a crab that size to eat the lionfish. If it did eat him, the fish was probably dead anyway. Are there any bones? Crabs leave bones behind, and the lionfish is very bony. I have seen crabs similar to what you are talking about when I dive. Does it have spots on the white that are greyish?

i did not see any bones. hmm i just have no idea where the fish went. I also coulnt tell if it had spots because my substate was all stirred up and the water got cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom