aggresive fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayna

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a problem, the guy who i get my fish from, sells me a lot of aggresive fish! he sold me a trigger and said he was a tad bit territorial, he ended up killing 2 of my fish.

then he sold me 3 damsels, the damsels were fine at first and dont pick on my tang or my clowns but they beat up my gramma and themselves.

now today he sold me another damsel (dont know the name, its all black with 3 white dots on his body) he said if i throw in another damsel they wont be so aggresive and that they are better in groups of 4 or 5.

well now my blue damsels and my humbugs are beating the crap out the new fish. they are actually making noises sounds like grunting when they are fighting.

what do i do?!?!? I wont be able to catch them now that they are in the tank and i'd hate to compain to the guy who sold them to me. i dont want them to die weither cause i'll be out $40.

WHAT DO I DO!!!????? :( :? :? :cry: :cry:

Your LFS is giving you very bad advice. Triggers are a very aggressive fish and will kill many types of fish, especially if the trigger is bigger. Damsels can also get very nasty and most people tend to stay away from them. I would get the damsels out of the tank ASAP and return them to the LFS. After that, I would not trust your guy anymore and do some research online to determine the fish that would be compatable. www.liveaquaria.com has good write-ups on a variety of fish. Even if you don't buy from them, they can at least show you what is safe in your tank. HTH

tripper

how do i get them out? i've tried the net with food in it but itslike they know that i'm trying to catch them when i have the net out.

The first thing you should do is find another LFS. All they are doing is wasting your money for you and causing you a lot of trouble. To catch damsels, you may need to remove all LR and decos from the tank to get them. They are very fast! Briang them back and request a cash refund, not store credit. Take your hard-earned money elsewhere. Good luck...Lando

I actually caught one of my damsels last night with a DIY trap using a coke bottle. Just cut the top off at the widest part. Flip the top over, and stick it back in the bottle, so that the mouth is inside. You might have to cut a little of the mouth off, enough so that the damsel can fit. Now you have the trap. You can put fishing line around the bottle, to make it easier to yank the bottle out when you catch the fish.
What I did was just put a frozen cube of phytoplankton in the trap, and a rock to keep it from floating. Stuck it in the water, and just waited. The damsel kept swimming around the bottle, curious where the food was, because he can smell it. After about an hour he swam in for the food. I let him enjoy his meal for a little bit, and yanked the bottle out. Other livestock might try to go in to. Just drop it in, and keep checking on it. By the way, I didn't flush him down the toilet. I gave him to a friend. Good Luck.

Like what others have said take them back. Then after you take them back; do research on fish. If you don't have any other stores either order online or atleast know what you want when you go in.

It's ok to complain if in this case. They are taking advantage of you, and probably others. You don't have to be a jerk about it. Just be firm, and stand your ground.

I would not trust your guy anymore and do some research online to determine the fish that would be compatable. www.liveaquaria.com has good write-ups on a variety of fish.

That said it all IMO. You gotta do some reading so that LFSers can't do that to you. There a bunch of easy, free sources of info. What's left in your tank now? Maybe we can advise you on what to get rid of and how to proceed from here.

Still, you should read.

Back
Top Bottom