Aiptasia ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phases99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I added a Pagoda Cup Coral a few weeks ago. At the base of it I notice a cluster of 4 or 5 brownish polyps that I at first believed were Aiptasia. I did notice a very large one growing in the tank that I bought it from. I probed them with a syringe and they closed up in a very similar way that my yellow polyps do. I thought that Aiptasia usually duck into a rock when disturbed. Is this a good way to test for Aiptasia or are there any other ways to positively identify these guys. Its in a bad spot to get a picture. Thanks

I had what I thought was a very small Aiptasia a few days ago. I noticed it while I was siphoning the gravel. It's gone now. I think/hope one of my hermits ate it.

I did notice a very large one growing in the tank that I bought it from. I probed them with a syringe and they closed up in a very similar way that my yellow polyps do

Definitely could be an aiptasia. They only duck into a rock when they can, in other words it depends on where they have positioned themselves. But, like you described, they are quick to react. Best way to find out is to do a search on aips so you can see a few different pics. HTH

I've scoured the net for photo's and I'm still not sure. :? The tenticles on the one's I see look more fleshy than mine. Do they change appearance as they grow?

How about a majano anemone? Another pset that should go. I have seen aiptasia that look different depending on what tank there in. IMO if your not sure I would nuke it and be done with them before they spread.

I got a little better look at them tonight and made the conclusion there are Aiptasia. I bought an insulin syringe and injected each one with a small amount of white vinegar. I can't tell if it worked yet as they just look closed. Lights out in a few minutes so I'll check in the morning. Thank you all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom