aiptasia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just started my tank and have my liverock curing in the garage, but my main tank is up and running with a refugium with grape caulerpa and LR rubble from my shipment. I just noticed last night that there are what appears to be a few small aiptasia stalks, the smallest is only about a 1/4" or so and the biggest at about 1". Seeing that there is nothing in the main tank other than sand, should I leave them in the refugium or pull them out?

Ryan

This could become a controversial issue...LOL. IMO, aptasias are good in a refugium so long as the population is kept under control. HOWEVER...you would definitely need Caribbean Peppermint shrimp in the main tank so any spores released or pieces of torn flesh flow into the main tank, they won't grow up and cause a problem in your tank. That's what I did for my little 18 gallon reef. Aptasias always grow in the refugium. I could have employed a shrimp or two for the refugium, but that does not guarantee erradication only because I don't think they eat adults...only newly sprouted buds...and even mechanical removal of aptasias by hand may tear the flesh. It only takes a smidgen of tissue for one to grow from it. Betcha if they were a more attractive color people wouldn't mind them so much.

these ones aren't so bad to look at.... they have stripped black and brown tentacles. they sure look lots like a type of polyp, but i'm almost certain thems are aiptasia. So should I not worry about them and just get a couple peps?

Why are they regarded as such pets in the SW hobby?

Ryan

ryguy said:
Why are they regarded as such pets in the SW hobby?

Did you mean pests??? LOL. They overpopulate and can easily and quickly take over a tank if not controlled. They will push out coral and they are aggressive anemones that sting readily. Copperband butterfly fish eat the adults. If you can't support that fish, there is a liquid called Stop Aptasia. You inject a little bit into its mouth to kill it. Some people take out the rock and torch them. Removing them by hand off a rock may tear them and any flesh left behind grows into a new aptasia. They are superior proliferators...LOL. Any on the glass can be removed with a thin razor blade. You'd use the blade as though you were scraping algae.

Get the peps regardless of what else you decide on a control method and make sure they are Caribbean. Not all peps eat aptasias.

LOL, I did mean pests....

you think that 5 inches of water in the fuge is too little for me to throw a pep in there?

5" of water can be deep enough for temporary living for a pep so long as it has room to move around. How big (length and width) is the refugium? It's best to get the peps for the main of the tank and if there is room, put one in the refugium for a while.

TCTFish said:
Copperband butterfly fish eat the adults. If you can't support that fish, there is a liquid called Stop Aptasia.

According to this article Copperband butterflies don't work too well...

A better natural control for aptasia seems to be Berghia verrucicornis......a nudibranch.

What exactly is aptasia? I am still learning these things. I think I know but I am not sure. Also whats the diffrence between a refugium and a reef tank? Sorry for the illiteracy to the hobby. Just new and trying to learn. Thanks. Oh sorry for butting in.

According to this article Copperband butterflies don't work too well...

I have a 175 bowfront that was INFESTED with aiptasia, all methods failed except for the copperband, which eradicated them quite fast and is now munching happily on mysis. As with most "natural" methods of aiptasia control, it can be hit and miss as to whether or not it works.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/viewtopic.php?t=569

everytime I look at my tank, I see another eensie weensie aiptasia just starting to get a foot hold. I have been removing the small bits of rubble that they are found on, but sure enough, when I look again in a few hours, I see another one that wasn't there the last time. how exactly, and how often to they and will they produce. killing the little ones is almost impossible, the only thing I can do is take the rock out that they're on....suggestions?

cool site, BTW, hara!

Ryan

get some joe's juice. I heard that stuff is the best. I had one aptaisia in my tank he was the size of a quarter and he just disapeared never seen him again.That was about a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom