Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is this algae looking stuff? It started as a small patch and spread all over the tip of this one piece of rock. My tank is new, only been up a little more than a month. I have a 14g biocube. I also have a koralia nano powerhead which used to be aimed to this exact spot. I moved it being that I thought that might have helped this stuff grow. Its almost impossible to even pull out manually because it is attached so strong. Any ideas on what it is/how to get rid of it?

Attachments

• DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 57
Not sure on the exact type of algae, but it is possible that your rock is leaching phosphate. I saw it in jonboy's tank first hand and it blew me away. Pristine tank other than one individual rock. Do you have this growing anywhere else in the tank?

Nope. One rock. Its on the top and bottom of that rock. but it hasnt showed anywhere else. It has been there a while on the top and then some more started below it a couple inches down about a week later but all on the same rock. The rock also seems to have some real dark green spots that I havent seen anywhere else in the tank.

Could that be hair algae, or a form OF hair algae? Do you have any snails or inverts/fish that eat algae? If so, do they ever try and nip at it or eat it? Or do they stay clear of it or dont even notice it.. ?

Sounds suspiciously similar to me. If the rock doesn't have anything attached to it, it may be worth it to let it dry completely for a few days, rinse well, and then to re-insert it as base rock.

Actually, thats a pretty good idea. If its just that one rock and you dont want it there, i dont see why it wouldnt be easy to just take that rock out, kill the darned algae and put the rock back in. Let it dry completely like HN1 said, and your rock will be back to normal.. if it ever was normal in the first place. :p

I'm not so sure that is hair algae, it does kind of look like it.
Can you describe the "strands" are they stiff or fine?
What are you water parameters?
How much/often/what do you feed?
How long do you run your lights?

The strands arent stiff. They move in the current. I have snails. They dont even touch it. Ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 10. I checked those as of two days ago.

Back
Top Bottom