Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremy S.

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is this on my frag? Look like a red type of algae?

Attachments

• image-777399191.jpg
    image-777399191.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 110
It's not cyano. I treated with chemiclean and it didn't remove it. It's also not a film over the rock it has more of a plating algae it seems.

By the looks of the small red "leaf" coming off the side, I'd say it is more likely a macro algae of some sort. Is it overtaking the frag? I would just take the frag out and scrub it off with a brush if you don't want it. If you do, you can just remove a big piece of it then scrub the rest off and just replace the frag.

Alright I might take some off to grow. But I do plan on scrubbing it off with a toothbrush after I save some. Would this be good algae for a sump?

I think you might have bryposis which is a type of macroalgae. I had it a while back. I stupidly threw out all my live sand and live rock an started over again because it got so bad. And it's already starting to come back. I'm treating the tank with magnesium cause I heard that should kill it. Good luck.

Isn't there a Kent M product some people use that contains magnesium?

Just be careful what you use. Lot of medications and pest control depletes tank if oxygen. You don't want to kill everything else in the process.

I've heard good stuff about the kent supplement. And I feel like my tank is getting enough aeration.

I think I have some of the same stuff. It doesn't seem to smother anything, and when I had a foxface, he seemed to like to munch on it. IF it's the same as I have, it will grow into a little hedge and stays short and close to the rock.

I actually pulled some off today and it came apart and looked just like the red nori sheets you buy

Back
Top Bottom