Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biff82

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me what algae this is and should i get rid as it looks quite cool
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can anyone tell me what algae this is and should i get rid as it looks quite cool
Cheers

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471888401.631960.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471888412.335415.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471888423.889110.jpg

Looks like turf algae to me. Nutrients in the water column. Can survive off of very small amounts of nutrients. Will need many water changes with ro/di water along with manual removal.

it looks like green hair algae good indicator your phosphates are up , spreads fairly fast
manual removal along with sucking it out , doing Larger water changes will help lower phosphate levels and aid with the removal of the hair . if this algae is allowed to grow it will takeover very fast.

The hair algae ive just about got on top of,tank was covered now just alittle here and there.
But the other stuff is a redish/purple and is only in two places. Looks cool tbh,but i should get rid yeah?

the red stuff is it hard or is it slimy . if it's hard it is prob coraline forming this one is safe ,
if its slimy you can use a tooth brush to scrub it off during water change . both red or green algae sources need fuel to survive find the source and remove it your algae will be gone.

Tbh niether,its kinda leafy almost like a bush
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471970788.779704.jpg
This is a pic from the under side

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471971345.879604.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471971362.983733.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471971387.382080.jpg
Everything seems to be doing well
And like i say ive had a few different alae blooms and managed to get rid,via large water changes more often toothbrush and pulling some out,and this stuff i just left as looked good,but will pull out next wc.
Thanks for your help

Photos arnt great from my phone either
But while im here maybe you could id this
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471972590.617065.jpg
Its white in real life
Also not to sure what this slug thing is
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471972667.020952.jpg
Nudibranch maybe couldnt get a pic of the top of it so i understand may not be able to make an id on it. I also found a star fish but couldnt get a pic cos moved by the time i got my phone but had very small body and long legs

Photos arnt great from my phone either
But while im here maybe you could id this
View attachment 288882
Its white in real life
Also not to sure what this slug thing is
View attachment 288883
Nudibranch maybe couldnt get a pic of the top of it so i understand may not be able to make an id on it. I also found a star fish but couldnt get a pic cos moved by the time i got my phone but had very small body and long legs

looks like a flat worm I would catch it while you see it as they will disappear into the rocks , eat your corals at night , I had one like that a while ago I didn't catch him right away he drove me nuts
img_3376001_0_cf442e3442af1f2f248ecf400d22c0b8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom