Algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think without a microscope it is impossible to say what it is exactly. It could be a combination of things as well. That in mind adding biodiversity (pods, phyto, etc.) will help whatever the issue is

No, dosing phyto is easily leading you to having excess nutrients in the water column. There is no need to dose or feed any new system. This is so true to the point it requires either a heavily stocked SPS tank to require such things or NPS corals.

End of the day, water changes can manage it all with proper lighting.

The tank has been established for 3.5 years though

Then larger than average water changes are needed along with stopping feeding to remove the nutrients in the water column that are building up and causing the cyano.
One could even make an argument to find and stir up the dead spots on the tank to remove all of that build up. People will argue against disturbing the sand bed, but that isn't what I'm suggesting. Finding the deep pockets of debris in the corners of rocks or the tank and sucking it out with a hose can't do any harm and really should be part of all of our routines.

Yea thats what Ive been doing. Ive also been syphoning water through a filter sock between water changes to filter out any visible patches and debris. What I dont get is that all my test are showing "0". I have tested nitrate, nitrite, phosphate and ammonia (been checking nitrate and phosphate daily). My dKh swings between 9-10 depending when I test it.

Also worth mentioning that the algae doesnt peel off like a mat but disintegrates into nothing when attempting to remove it. It is brown in color and while its most visible on the sand it is found throughout the tank and even on the purple part of my GSPs when they are not open. Ill try to upload a video of it when lighta are on

Water change today and this is my test before the water change. I hate API test but its what I have for now. Ill be ordering some hanna test kits when I get a chance.

Salinity holding at 1.026 and dKH at 9.020210813_133914.jpg

Don't worry about testing. Don't worry about better tests either. Just get some red slime remover or any other product that will remove cyano and use it during your next water change. I'm pretty certain that'll be the end of it if you were able to remove any gunk build up at that time as well. We all have similar issues from time to time. I'm a firm believer it is the real cause to 'old tank syndrome' to this day.

Yea I cleaned the tank yesterday and removed the rocks that had no corals and gave them a good scrub down. Also syphoned out any visible detritus from areas that were hard to reach/see. Lets see what happens. I have used chemiclean but it only works for a few days so hopefully doing this in combination with removing all that detritus will work.

Sadly, the cyanobacteria products will only get rid of it until it can build itself back up again. So, once you remove it via that and siphoning the stuff out. Lots of water changes and increasing the flow. That way it can't come back.
I still have lots on my sandbed atm. I don't worry too much about it because it is only coral in there atm...and I'm more focused on the aiptasia to fight lol. It is all about picking battles and long term strategy. There isn't any lies about patience being key for this hobby.

Very true Hank. You can tell by the cyano in the tank there is excessive nutrients in the tank.

Addresses most of the areas. Lmk what you think
1) flow: 2x koralis 565 and 3x sun JVP-110 (530 gph). My return pump is a Rio+ 2100
2) detritus (excess nutrients): I had been wanting to rework the rocks to get a larger sand bed so I syphoned 5 gallons for water and then removed rocks without corals and rinsed them in the 5 gallon bucket cintaining thenaquarium water. Also hit them with a turkey baster to get as much of the detritus out on the nooks and crannies.
I then syphone water through a filter sock back into the sump to remove any visible detritus form the top of the sand bed (tried not to disturb sand bed.

The amount of detritus that was removed was insane. Hopefully the tank starts to do better. Im trying to avoid adding any chemicals into the tank. Will continue with weekly 5 gallon water changes and im being a little more aggresive about changing my fikter sock every few days. You think I am ok to add live pods. I want to get the population back to where it was before. Thanks for the tips!

Things sound like they are going to be good to go. I would hit the rocks with a turkey baster during your next water change. I do it once and awhile just because.

In terms of pods, they won't care. They'll do just fine either way. I stopped adding them forever ago. They are always crawling around in my tank through its hiccups.

Back
Top Bottom