algae id...good or bad....causes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mstrblstr33

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me what this is, and why it is on my sandbed? I raked it the other day but it came right back.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110615_060543.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110615_060543.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 158
  • ForumRunner_20110615_060601.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110615_060601.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 141
Diatoms, it is common in new tanks. With proper water changes it will go away over time.

Or red slime algae, what color is it? green or reddish haha it's hard to tell in your pic colors.

I feed twice a day, flake in the morning and square cubes in the evening. Every otherday I feed my serpents krill, and bury some in the sand for my 2 sifting stars and a horseshoe crab...is this too much?

Yes that is probably what is causing this algae, overfeeding. How many fish and what size of tank? Do you feed a whole cube? Most fish can be fed every other day or even every third day, every other day is what is mostly recommended (and only one feeding). The cubes should be rinsed before feeding as well, I thaw mine in a cup with some tank water and then strain or tweezer the food out, putting the remainder in the fridge for later use.

0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
Yes that is probably what is causing this algae, overfeeding. How many fish and what size of tank? Do you feed a whole cube? Most fish can be fed every other day or even every third day, every other day is what is mostly recommended (and only one feeding). The cubes should be rinsed before feeding as well, I thaw mine in a cup with some tank water and then strain or tweezer the food out, putting the remainder in the fridge for later use.

I have a mandarin, 2 chromis, a clown, yellow tang, one monster serpent star, medium serpent and 2 baby serpents, arrow crab, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, porcelin crab, small sand sifting star, royal sand star, orange linkia star, 5 turbo snails and some misc snails and crabs. The tank is a 125. I usually feed a couple pinches of flake in the morning and 2 whole cubes in the evening and then every other day I feed krill to the serepents and sifters.

Is it in sheets? It looks like the cyano I just got over. Also, does it have stringy hairs?

It doesn't look like diatoms to me. They are a rusty reddish color. This looks blue/green to me.

tjm80 said:
Is it in sheets? It looks like the cyano I just got over. Also, does it have stringy hairs?

It doesn't look like diatoms to me. They are a rusty reddish color. This looks blue/green to me.

Its kinda greenish brown. Not sure about the hairs or sheets.

I would cut back to only one cube every other day, you can sub the one cube for flakes some days to mix up the food. You could even do half a cube probably, you don't have many fish. What are the cubes you are feeding? mysis, brine, blood worms?

0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
I would cut back to only one cube every other day, you can sub the one cube for flakes some days to mix up the food. You could even do half a cube probably, you don't have many fish. What are the cubes you are feeding? mysis, brine, blood worms?

Its called marine fusion. Krill, mysis, brine, mussels, squid and algae. I will give your feeding technique a try.

like kelsy said just cut back on feeding, it solved my red slime and all those wierd algea problems of mine.

Back
Top Bottom