Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a long tentacled anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis) to me though it may also be a Macrodactyla doreensis (. It prefers a deep sand bed. I had onr for a few years. It grew HUGE (over 12") in a corner of my tank. It died suddenly after a supplemental feeding (died in a period of days).

I have not replaced it and urge everyone not to buy anemones. They should be left in the ocean where they will live far longer than our tanks will.

I would probably make an exception for captive fragged anemones coming from stock already in a tank.

I posted this picture in a similar post, but it shows that clowns don't need anemones as this Clarkii of mine is hosting not only a fake anemone but also a Hawaiian featherduster. Way to funny watching this guy...

img_1078271_0_19e05ca02e2ce7157bac84243328912d.jpg

img_1078271_1_f3c5989fa78597bca18f7d63b623d224.jpg

If you decide to keep it and it finds a spot in the sand there will be times it will disapear into the sand bed. It will come back out again the next day or two.

He means you should seriously consider removing it from your tank. How long has your tank been running anyways? I hope you do know that for your tanks sake and the anemones, they should not be placed in tanks under 8 months of age. Anemones need the most pristine of water conditions in order to survive and to live a full and happy life, and a tank of a young age can rarely meet that expectation. Water fluctuations are a given in young tanks, and even the slightest water fluctuations can stress out an anemone.

Also, the nem that cmor is talking about prefers a sandbed of 4-5 inches or deeper. Do you have a sandbed that is this deep or deeper?

:onfire: Sorry, but anemones will never live a full life in our tanks. That anemone can gow to 2+ feet in the ocean and live 30 years. I had one that survived over two years in my established tank and it grew to over a foot. That's in a 125 gallon tank with a deep sand bed (6" - 9").
You don't really hear of many anemones living 5 years+ in our tanks. Most perish in the first few months.

I for one will never buy an anemone again. If enough people do the same we will self regulate teh industry and stores will stop carrying them. Clown fish do NOT need an anemone to host. My wild caught true percula are now hosting a frogspawn. Clown fish will host almost anything given time.

I`m the same as Cmor. I`ll never have another one either. Too much trouble and my clowns host all my corals instead.

When i said full i didn't mean full as as they do in the wild. I meant full being relative to "tank life" for them.

If i was going to sell it where should I? ??? Because it is getting way to big for my tank already.

Back
Top Bottom