Anemone ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this thing as a hitchhiker on a coral. He disappeared the night he was added and I assumed he was gone only to be found again yesterday. When I first got him he was about the size of a dime. Now he is at about 2 1/2" across. He is staying in a valley between some rocks. He's been in my tank for about three months. I'm thinking he's probably a rock/flower anemone (Epicystis crucifer) but confirmation or other suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

Pest anemone from what I understand. Looks like the ones that come from Fl aquacultured rock.
I got a few of them too, ended up zapping all but one. Wanted to watch it and actually, it has done nothing wrong as far as I can tell.
Hows the little one Cindy? Feeling better I hope?

Don't think it's a pest anemone... give me a few minutes and I'll let you know exactly.......

This one as far as I can tell has been no problem. He stays in his hole, bothers nothing. I'm gonna leave it be, I was just curious.

The baby is doing better. He's still on meds for his ear but that finishes up this week. Then he'll be good as new. Thanks for asking. :D

I believe it's either a Heteractis aurora (beaded anemone) or a Bartholomea (curly-cue anemone .... both are safe... just like any other anemone... will eat meat and filter feed....... let me know if you find this to be correct.....

Hope it helps.......

It's not a curly-que for sure they have longer, thinner tentacles....I often see these anemones referred to as flower rock anemones(not sure of a scientific name). From what I understand some people don't have problems w/ them, while others can't stop them from reproducing thus making them a nuisance eventually.

Woooooooohoooooooo.... I win.... :) ....... for once I was right.........

Heteractis aurora certainly warrants further inspection on my part. Thanks everyone!!

Well I've gotten so much help from you *Quarryshark* ... it just feels good to have something right on my part... :) ......

Back
Top Bottom