Anemone ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zrenegade

Aquarium Advice Newbie

Got tired of guessing, some pics and closeups:

i736423_DSCN0565.JPG

i736425_DSCN0566.JPG

Does not look like a typical BTA to me. I never saw the tips inflate.

Not sure?? But a BTA its not IMO.. I have several and have seen many RBTA and even when there deflated they don't look like that. I'd be surprised if that what it is. tenticles should be longer on a BTA.

IMO it is just a regular BTA like melosu says. I see lots of bta's at my lfs that look like this after the lfs has had them for a couple weeks. So I say it's just an unhealthy bta.

Edit: O and the tips could never inflate into the "bubbles" that give it its name. My bta doesn't have the bubbles. The only time it ever did was when I first got it and it was bleached out and almost dead about 9 months ago.

that look like this after the lfs has had them for a couple weeks. So I say it's just an unhealthy bta.
I agree. Looks like an unhappy BTA to me too. They lose their bubbles for many reasons, sometimes it's unclear/unknown. Many times under less than ideal lighting they will, or when hosted by clownfish. At least it's not bleached out, it should do fine w/ good water/lighting/acclimation. How long have you had it?

Definitely a BTA. However, as far as it being unhealthy or not, that is a toss up. Anemones expand with water and deflate regularly; whether or not it is healthy is not necessarily indicated by how bubbly the tips are, although that is the standard. I'd look to other things, such as tightness of mouth, coloration (which seems alright), tears, and/or stickiness to decide if the specimen were actually ill. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom