Anemone Identity, not Aiptasia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThrowedToad

Aquarium Advice Freak
S7300785.jpg picture by throwedtoad - Photobucket

S7300796.jpg picture by throwedtoad - Photobucket

I'm sure everyone sees this question all the time, I have a new LFS and the rock they get in is awesome (compared to my old LFS). But either way I got this particular piece of rock today with about five of these anemones on it, I am almost positive they are not aiptasia but I guess you can never be sure. When it is closed it looks like a limpet and when it is open it stays very close to the base (unlike aiptasia). Are there any physical tests I can do to check? (like poke it, lol) Thanks for any ideas

I am always poking things in my tank if it moves I don't poke it again. Poking rules out sponges and gives me a start on researching what I just poked.

I will post a better pic tommorow when the lights are on. Also need an identity on a small sps coral that somehow is still alive after being at my LFS with no light for who knows how long, all I can tell you without a pic is that it is small and brown, lol. Are there sps that don't need special light?

If you could get a pic of it with tentacles extended that may help in IDing it.

As for the SPS you will have to post a pic of it.

I figured the anenome out. From what I can tell it is an orange ball anemone. They only come out in dim light and have small reflective balls on the tips of their tentacles.

its to hard to tell. for sure but its not an aiptasia they don't have a foot like the one in your pic. will have to see it when its open

Back
Top Bottom