Anemone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have an idea what a mophead anemone is? I seen some anemones at a (not so) lfs and when I asked what they were they said mopheads. :?:
Well, I passed on them since I'd never heard of that. When I searched for them, I came up with nothing. The closest thing I can find that even looks remotely close is a ritteri. Any ideas?

Hey Fluff, I know nothing about anemone, but I wanted to congratulate you on winning the grand prize. You deserve it most of everyone. I have a tank of healthy fish because of you. Thanks for the advice a few months ago. You are awesome.

Wow, 8O thank you so much for the congrats. So glad I could help and your words of confidence are greatly appreciated. :D

Sorry to drag this off topic so badly... but WHAT grand prize?

Oh! Good for you! That's great! Congrats!

Thanks Phyllis! :D
And thanks for moving this Steve. But, being an anemone guy, do you have any suggestions on what a mophead might be?

Gotta love common names for sure... If possible, take a camera with you if you get the opportunity to go back. It would be much easier. The only thing that comes to mind would possibley be an Actinodendron sp (plumosum mabye?)

Cheers
Steve

Cool, let me look that up. And yes, the names they give stuff is rediculous.

No, that's not it. Well, I'll try to get a pic this weekend if not sooner. Thanks anyway. :D

My husband picked them up on his rounds today. Here are pics. I'll get better pictures once they are settled in.

Here they are this morning. Well, I was able to get a pic of one of them this morning. The other one moved behind some rocks.

What coloration did the foot have? You might need to wait until it gets a bit bigger but so far it looks quite similar to a green tipped sebae.

Cheers
Steve

The foot is white with some flourecent green stripping. . I can get a pic of the foot as well if that will help.

Here is some pics of the foot. Those bright green florescent stripes aren't consistent but there are a few. :?: The other anemone is more light brown in color with paler green tips. But, structure wise they are exactly the same.

Not necessary. I have what "appears" to be the exact same anemone in my 27 gal. Or at least very similar. I have had a real time trying to ID it. Sometimes it looks alot like a Sebae and then other days it resembles a Magnifica. They can sometimes be a real pain to ID correctly when small. My O/P clown pair like to back and forth between it and my large Sebae.

If the tips remain sharp and pointed I would lean towards a Sebae. If they become round and clubbed it could very well be a Magnifica. The clear area around the mouth can make it a bit deceiving as can coloration. I have had mine now for about 6 years and it has grown from about 1½-2" upto it's current size of about 7-8". In that time the tentacle density towards the center has been filling in some. I will see if I can get a decent pic for you.

Cheers
Steve

To late. :oops: lol
Cool. I'll wait for pics. I'm gonna attempt to feed them today. So far they seem to be adjusting well to the lighting. One hasn't moved at all and the other only moved about two inches to squeeze behind some rocks. The only light the lfs had them under were actinics. Thanks for the help.

Do them a favor and skip the feeding if you have fish. You'll both regret it in the long run... 8)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom